From Bugzilla Helper: User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:0.9.8) Gecko/20020207 BuildID: 2002020712 When viewing gbif.org page and clicking a button that is a java applet, Mozilla immediately crashes, and the talkback facility doesn't come up. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Point mozilla to "http://www.gbif.org/" 2. Click on the button at the left titled "About GBIF". I believe this is a Java applet. 3. Mozilla immediately crashes, and the talkback facility doesn't come up. Actual Results: Mozilla immediately crashed and the talkback facility did not come up. Expected Results: Open a new page as usual.
wfm using build 2002022808 on Linux + JRE 1.4.0-b92. bug only shows on Linux. Java is involved. FrontPage generated page with fphover.class. Known sun's jdk 1.3 problem with fphover applet. => Dupe of 57372. reporter: Please upgrade to jre 1.3.1 or 1.4 (1.4 is better). (Latest 1.3.1 may also have no problem - please try appletviewer on testcase from bug 57372 to verify) *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 57372 ***
Olivier, merci de ton message. I had actually been using the Java 1.3.1 plugin. With the Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.0-b92 the www.gbif.org page does not fully load and init the fphover.class applets - so I can't tell whether clicking on them crashes mozilla in the same way. Rather than displaying buttons, the gbif.org page now just displays broken applet panels. See below for Java Console output. The current behavior clearly isn't right. I tried pointing at all the testcase URLs in bug #57372 and they worked fine. I also tried many of the testcases in other bug reports that were mentioned as duplicates of #57372, and the ones I tried also seemed to work fine - i.e. fphover.class applet did not seem to be causing problems in them. So it would seem something else is happening with respect to the gbif.org page. From the About Plugins window Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.0-b92 File name: /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0/jre/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji140.so Java(TM) Plug-in1.4.0 Default Plugin File name: /home/gasser/Software/Mozilla/Mozilla9.8/plugins/libnullplugin.so The default plugin handles plugin data for mimetypes and extensions that are not specified and facilitates downloading of new plugins. Here is the relevant backtrace from the Java Console window: load: class fphover.class not found. java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: fphover.class at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:151) at sun.plugin.security.PluginClassLoader.findClass(PluginClassLoader.java:189) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:112) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:262) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:478) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:548) at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:1621) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:477) at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:290) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536) Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed. at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(AppletClassLoader.java:224) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(AppletClassLoader.java:40) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(AppletClassLoader.java:141) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:138) ... 10 more -- Les
confirming using build 2002030803 on Win2k + JRE 1.4.0.
Crash/hang here is known jre 1.3 problem. Updating the summary. Reporter: Please try to open java console and set trace level to 5 before visiting the page. Please post console output here.
Well, i am able to reproduce this. However, i am not quite sure it is really bug. Applet is created with following <applet code="fphover.class" codebase="../_fpclass/" width="140" height="30"> But the URL of original document is http://www.gbif.org/ Therefore plugin tries to load http://www.gbif.org/../_fpclass/fphover.class that is obviously missing. The only thing that prevent me from closing this bug as INVALID is the fact applet was load with 1.3. However, i think this was because java plugin had normilized urls internally (and as sideeffect not balanced "../" was removed).
reassign to me