Getting stuck in migration wizard ('next' button is disabled when all items have finished importing) when Qihoo 360se browser is installed

VERIFIED FIXED in Firefox 50

Status

()

Firefox
Migration
VERIFIED FIXED
2 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: Yanfang Liu, Assigned: Gijs)

Tracking

({regression})

50 Branch
Firefox 52
x86
Windows
regression
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(firefox49 unaffected, firefox50+ verified, firefox51 verified, firefox52 verified)

Details

MozReview Requests

()

Submitter Diff Changes Open Issues Last Updated
Loading...
Error loading review requests:

Attachments

(3 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

2 years ago
Created attachment 8801638 [details]
Next button is grayed out.png

"Next" button in Import Wizard page is grayed out. 
Error log: Can't automatically migrate from Firefox.

Steps:
1. Install Firefox 50.0b7 and open Firefox.
2. Select one browser to import settings and data.
3. "Next" button on Import Wizard page is grayed out.
4. Click x to close the Import Wizard page, Firefox can be opened and bookmarks were improted, error log was shown in the browser console:

   Can't automatically migrate from Firefox.           AutoMigrate.jsm:183
	pickMigrator                 resource://app/modules/AutoMigrate.jsm:183:13
	migrate                      resource://app/modules/AutoMigrate.jsm:125:33
	MU_startupMigrator           resource:///modules/MigrationUtils.jsm:784:9
	bound MU_startupMigrator     self-hosted
(Reporter)

Updated

2 years ago
Component: Bookmarks & History → Migration
(Assignee)

Comment 1

2 years ago
What browser are you importing from? What OS are you using (is it Windows XP/Vista/7) ? Can you reproduce this on a new clean profile ( https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles ), perhaps if you pass the '-migration' commandline flag when starting? Are there no other errors in the browser console when this happens?


The error from AutoMigrate.jsm happens because we try to automatically migrate from the default browser on your machine, but Firefox is the default browser on your machine when we check. If you're on Windows XP/Vista/7 then it's possible that this was changed by the installer (ie the installer made Firefox the default) and so that would trigger this error message. We show you the dialog as a 'fall back', where you can pick a different browser.

The fact that the dialog got 'stuck' when importing from that other browser is not related to the "Can't automatically migrate from Firefox" error that shows up in the browser console. There is likely some other error in the import that causes the 'next' button to remain greyed out.
Flags: needinfo?(yliu)
Summary: Can't automatically migrate from Firefox. → Getting stuck in migration wizard ('next' button is disabled when all items have finished importing)
(Reporter)

Comment 2

2 years ago
(In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #1)
> What browser are you importing from? What OS are you using (is it Windows
> XP/Vista/7) ? Can you reproduce this on a new clean profile (
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-
> firefox-profiles ), perhaps if you pass the '-migration' commandline flag
> when starting? 
>
I tested on Windows 7 and Windows 10 with new clean profiles, tried Edge, IE, Chrome, 360se,got the same results.

> Are there no other errors in the browser console when this
> happens?
> 
All the error logs when importing IE data:

Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///E:/Fx%20test/beta-enrome.manifest'.
Can't automatically migrate from Firefox.  AutoMigrate.jsm:183
NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIProperties.get]  XULStore.js:66
1476755639024	addons.xpi	WARN	Add-on dict@www.youdao.com is not correctly signed.
1476755639025	addons.xpi	WARN	Add-on dict@www.youdao.com is not correctly signed.
1476755639025	addons.xpi-utils	WARN	Disabling foreign installed add-on dict@www.youdao.com in winreg-app-user
1476755639041	addons.xpi	WARN	Add-on fiddlerhook@fiddler2.com is not correctly signed.
1476755639042	addons.xpi	WARN	Add-on fiddlerhook@fiddler2.com is not correctly signed.
1476755639042	addons.xpi-utils	WARN	Disabling foreign installed add-on fiddlerhook@fiddler2.com in winreg-app-global
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED) [nsIPrefBranch.setBoolPref]"  nsresult: "0x8000ffff (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)"  location: "JS frame :: resource://app/components/IEProfileMigrator.js :: S__set :: line 463"  data: no]  (unknown)
some settings did not successfully migrate.
ReferenceError: OS is not defined[Learn More]  360seProfileMigrator.js:305:5
Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“c” modifiers=“accel,alt”  browser.xul
Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“r” modifiers=“accel,alt”  browser.xul
Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“i” modifiers=“accel,alt,shift”  browser.xul

> 
> The error from AutoMigrate.jsm happens because we try to automatically
> migrate from the default browser on your machine, but Firefox is the default
> browser on your machine when we check. If you're on Windows XP/Vista/7 then
> it's possible that this was changed by the installer (ie the installer made
> Firefox the default) and so that would trigger this error message. We show
> you the dialog as a 'fall back', where you can pick a different browser.
> 
> The fact that the dialog got 'stuck' when importing from that other browser
> is not related to the "Can't automatically migrate from Firefox" error that
> shows up in the browser console. There is likely some other error in the
> import that causes the 'next' button to remain greyed out.
(Reporter)

Updated

2 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(yliu)
(Assignee)

Comment 3

2 years ago
Thanks, that's helpful!
Assignee: nobody → gijskruitbosch+bugs
Blocks: 1276694
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
status-firefox49: --- → unaffected
status-firefox50: --- → affected
status-firefox51: --- → affected
status-firefox52: --- → affected
tracking-firefox50: --- → ?
Keywords: regression
Summary: Getting stuck in migration wizard ('next' button is disabled when all items have finished importing) → Getting stuck in migration wizard ('next' button is disabled when all items have finished importing) when Qihoo 360se browser is installed
(Assignee)

Comment 4

2 years ago
The issue here is that after the migration, we try to use telemetry to report which browser's data was the most recent (so we can determine if recency of that data is any realistic indication of which browser's data the user would prefer us to automatically import).

Unfortunately the telemetry I wrote for bug 1276694 for 360se was completely broken, because I neglected to include OS.File.

I added the import here, as well as adding a try...catch to avoid issues with that telemetry breaking the import again.

This will likely want uplift all the way to beta because this will affect new installs on machines that have 360se installed (if it isn't installed, the code in question won't be running at all, which is also how this has gone unnoticed for so long).
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)

Comment 7

2 years ago
mozreview-review
Comment on attachment 8802066 [details]
Bug 1310596 - do not allow errors in reporting migrator data recency to break the rest of the migration,

https://reviewboard.mozilla.org/r/86616/#review85506
Attachment #8802066 - Flags: review?(mdeboer) → review+

Comment 8

2 years ago
mozreview-review
Comment on attachment 8802067 [details]
Bug 1310596 - actually import OS.File in the 360se profile migrator code,

https://reviewboard.mozilla.org/r/86618/#review85508

As easy as rubberstamping, indeed.
Attachment #8802067 - Flags: review?(mdeboer) → review+
(Assignee)

Comment 9

2 years ago
I verified on a local VM that these changes fix the problem.

Comment 10

2 years ago
Pushed by gijskruitbosch@gmail.com:
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/3f072cb803c3
do not allow errors in reporting migrator data recency to break the rest of the migration, r=mikedeboer
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/44a43b484169
actually import OS.File in the 360se profile migrator code, r=mikedeboer
(Assignee)

Comment 11

2 years ago
Comment on attachment 8802066 [details]
Bug 1310596 - do not allow errors in reporting migrator data recency to break the rest of the migration,

Approval Request Comment
[Feature/regressing bug #]: bug 1276694
[User impact if declined]: if you have 360se installed, you will get stuck in the initial migration step when you first install Firefox
[Describe test coverage new/current, TreeHerder]: sadly, no, or this regression would have been caught. We do have some unit tests for the 360se browser, but they don't seem to have caught this.
[Risks and why]: low - I'm adding an import, removing an unused import, and adding a try...catch.
[String/UUID change made/needed]: no.
Attachment #8802066 - Flags: approval-mozilla-beta?
Attachment #8802066 - Flags: approval-mozilla-aurora?

Comment 12

2 years ago
bugherder
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/3f072cb803c3
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/44a43b484169
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 2 years ago
status-firefox52: affected → fixed
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 52
Hello Yanfang, could you please verify this issue is fixed as expected on a latest Nightly build? Thanks!
Flags: needinfo?(yliu)
Comment on attachment 8802066 [details]
Bug 1310596 - do not allow errors in reporting migrator data recency to break the rest of the migration,

Fix to improve migration to Firefox browser, Aurora51+, Beta50+
Attachment #8802066 - Flags: approval-mozilla-beta?
Attachment #8802066 - Flags: approval-mozilla-beta+
Attachment #8802066 - Flags: approval-mozilla-aurora?
Attachment #8802066 - Flags: approval-mozilla-aurora+

Updated

2 years ago
tracking-firefox50: ? → +
Flags: qe-verify+
(Reporter)

Comment 17

2 years ago
(In reply to Ritu Kothari (:ritu) from comment #13)
> Hello Yanfang, could you please verify this issue is fixed as expected on a
> latest Nightly build? Thanks!

I verified on Win7 and Win10 with the latest nightly build, Firefox crashed while importing settins and data from IE.

User Agent: 
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
 
Build ID: 20161023030206

Crash report:
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/da1e7334-0ae2-494a-9b16-ebf582161024

Importing data from other browsers to Firefox were successfull.
(Reporter)

Updated

2 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(yliu)
(Assignee)

Comment 18

2 years ago
(In reply to Yanfang Liu from comment #17)
> (In reply to Ritu Kothari (:ritu) from comment #13)
> > Hello Yanfang, could you please verify this issue is fixed as expected on a
> > latest Nightly build? Thanks!
> 
> I verified on Win7 and Win10 with the latest nightly build, Firefox crashed
> while importing settins and data from IE.
> 
> User Agent: 
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
>  
> Build ID: 20161023030206
> 
> Crash report:
> https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/da1e7334-0ae2-494a-9b16-
> ebf582161024
> 
> Importing data from other browsers to Firefox were successfull.

Thanks!

The crashes are bug 1308327.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
status-firefox52: fixed → verified
I didn't manage to reproduce the issue. Can you please verify if this is fixed on 50 and 51 builds?
Flags: needinfo?(yliu)
(Reporter)

Comment 20

2 years ago
(In reply to Iulia Cristescu, QA [:IuliaC] from comment #19)
> I didn't manage to reproduce the issue. Can you please verify if this is
> fixed on 50 and 51 builds?

Verified on the latest 50 and 51 builds, fixed!
status-firefox50: fixed → verified
status-firefox51: fixed → verified
(Reporter)

Updated

2 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(yliu)
Flags: qe-verify+
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.