"Corrupted Content Error" when reloading firebase site.

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

Web Compatibility Tools
General
RESOLVED INVALID
2 years ago
2 days ago

People

(Reporter: miketaylr, Unassigned)

Tracking

Details

(URL)

STR:

1) Go to https://gdgnd-devfest16.firebaseapp.com/
2) Reload page after it's been loaded

Expected:
Page reloads

Actual:

"The site at https://gdgnd-devfest16.firebaseapp.com/ has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the data transmission was detected.

    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

If I force refresh and bypass the cache, I get the page as expected.
status-firefox49: --- → affected
status-firefox50: --- → affected
status-firefox51: --- → affected
status-firefox52: --- → affected

Comment 1

2 years ago

This is an error in the site:

    Failed to load ‘https://gdgnd-devfest16.firebaseapp.com/’. A ServiceWorker passed a redirected Response to FetchEvent.respondWith() while RedirectMode is not ‘follow’.

The only URL I see getting redirected when I load without the service worker is:

https://gdgnd-devfest16.firebaseapp.com/src/hoverboard-app.html

If this is being loaded in an iframe its not legal to pass a redirected Response back because its a navigation.
Comment 1 seems to indicate this is a web compat bug
status-firefox49: affected → ---
status-firefox50: affected → ---
status-firefox51: affected → ---
status-firefox52: affected → ---
Component: Networking: HTTP → General
Product: Core → Web Compatibility
Version: 49 Branch → unspecified
(note: The Web Compatibility product is for software, not outready)

Ben, do you think we should open a bug against Chrome since it appears to not fail?
Flags: needinfo?(bkelly)

Comment 4

2 years ago
Sure, I filed this and pinged a few folks at google:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=658249

Also, comment 1 is not quite right.  See this webcompat github issue comment for better info:

https://github.com/webcompat/web-bugs/issues/3375#issuecomment-254548965
Flags: needinfo?(bkelly)
Thanks again Ben. The error message we get in this instance is super confusing ("Corrupted Content Error" feels very... robotic). But let's close this issue and continue outreach via webcompat.com.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 2 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID

Comment 6

2 years ago
(In reply to Mike Taylor [:miketaylr] from comment #5)
> Thanks again Ben. The error message we get in this instance is super
> confusing ("Corrupted Content Error" feels very... robotic). But let's close
> this issue and continue outreach via webcompat.com.

Well, it basically means "this here webpage done messed up", which is accurate.  If you can suggest a better message I'm happy to use it.  We just didn't think "weird service worker thing failed to intercept your message" would go over well with users.
Yeah, I'm not sure what would be better. Googling "Corrupted Content Error" doesn't turn up great results, at least for someone with my attention span, e.g., https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1011249. 

But I think the console error is the most helpful thing for developers (and I should have thought to look there when seeing the error for the first time).

Comment 8

2 years ago
See also https://webcompat.com/issues/3507
which has a similar message and the same type of misunderstanding on what is happening.

Is it really a "Corrupted Content Error" or something such as Ben's comment.

> If this is being loaded in an iframe its not legal to pass a redirected Response back because its a navigation.

Maybe a user message along:

   The site is attempting to modify the content in a insecure way. 
   We blocked it for you. 


The issue with the current message:

> Corrupted Content Error
> 
> The site at https://www.smashingmagazine.com/ has experienced 
> a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired.
> 
> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because 
> an error in the data transmission was detected.
> 
>     Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.


The issue is that the last step is… impossible to achieve because we can't access the site.
I wonder if there would be a clever way to do that.

Comment 9

2 years ago
(In reply to Karl Dubost :karlcow from comment #8)
> The issue is that the last step is… impossible to achieve because we can't
> access the site.
> I wonder if there would be a clever way to do that.

Hard refresh should bypass the service worker and show the site.
Just FYI

> Hard refresh should bypass the service worker and show the site.

Yup it does. 


Another site I have a similar issue is Jeremy Keith, when I click a link from the feed-reader. For example:
https://adactio.com/journal/11380

The first load (still with uBlock and uMatrix for everything but the 1st party domain).

It sends me back the message:

> Offline
> 
> Sorry. It looks like the network connection isn’t working right now.
> 
> But you can still take a look at a snapshot of the homepage.

And a simple refresh will display the content indeed.

Comment 11

2 years ago
(In reply to Karl Dubost :karlcow from comment #10)
> Another site I have a similar issue is Jeremy Keith, when I click a link
> from the feed-reader. For example:
> https://adactio.com/journal/11380
> 
> The first load (still with uBlock and uMatrix for everything but the 1st
> party domain).
> 
> It sends me back the message:
> 
> > Offline
> > 
> > Sorry. It looks like the network connection isn’t working right now.
> > 
> > But you can still take a look at a snapshot of the homepage.
> 
> And a simple refresh will display the content indeed.

Is this on Android?  I've been getting that a lot on twitter since FF49.  Basically whenever I open twitter after having my phone asleep for a while.  I had assumed they were manually checking the offline status API instead of doing a pass-through fetch.  I think its might related to fennec's "offline loading" support which was added in 49 and pulls from http cache.

But really, lets not make this bug a dumping ground for all issues.  Please write a new bug.
Desktop. I mentioned it here, because it's related to service worker. 
But yes you are right separate issues.

Comment 13

2 years ago
(In reply to Karl Dubost :karlcow from comment #12)
> Desktop. I mentioned it here, because it's related to service worker. 
> But yes you are right separate issues.

Ok.  I can't reproduce on my desktop in FF49 or FF50.  I might need your profile.
Saw this today with a website with an expired HTTPS certificate.  The error message is not exactly appropriate in this case.

Force-refreshing gives the certificate error, as expected.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.