Closed Bug 1365197 Opened 5 years ago Closed 4 years ago

[Pointer Events] Tap and double-tap are unresponsive on maps.google.com if Pointer Events is preffed off

Categories

(Core :: DOM: Events, defect, P2)

55 Branch
x86_64
Windows
defect

Tracking

()

RESOLVED INVALID
Tracking Status
firefox55 --- affected

People

(Reporter: JuliaC, Assigned: stone)

References

()

Details

[Note]:
- This issue is only reproducible when e10s is on and the preff "dom.w3c_pointer_events.enabled" is set to "false"

[Affected versions]:
- Firefox 55.0a1

[Affected platforms]:
- Windows 10 x64

[Steps to reproduce]:
1. Launch Firefox
2. - go to "about:config", add the pref "browser.tabs.remote.force-enable" as a boolean and set it to "true"
   - set the "dom.w3c_pointer_events.enabled" pref to "false"
3. Go to maps.google.com and search for a random place
4. Tap anywhere on the map to get an address
5. Double-tap anywhere on the map to zoom to that specific area

[Expected result]:
- [step4] The user is able to get the address of the chosen point on the map
- [step5] The user is able to zoom in on the map 

[Actual result]:
- Tap and double-tap functionalities are not responsive
Hi Iulia,
I don't really get why this blocks the PE Windows meta bug 1315189 as the bug was reported when PE is OFF.
(In reply to Hsin-Yi Tsai [:hsinyi] from comment #1)
> Hi Iulia,
> I don't really get why this blocks the PE Windows meta bug 1315189 as the
> bug was reported when PE is OFF.

Hello! 
The main idea of this issue was that the maps.google.com functionality shouldn't be affected by PE status, meaning that the site should be fully functional (like www.bing.com/maps does), no matter if PE is preffed on or off.
(In reply to Iulia Cristescu, QA [:IuliaC] from comment #2)
> (In reply to Hsin-Yi Tsai [:hsinyi] from comment #1)
> > Hi Iulia,
> > I don't really get why this blocks the PE Windows meta bug 1315189 as the
> > bug was reported when PE is OFF.
> 
> Hello! 
> The main idea of this issue was that the maps.google.com functionality
> shouldn't be affected by PE status, meaning that the site should be fully
> functional (like www.bing.com/maps does), no matter if PE is preffed on or
> off.
Thanks Iulia!

Hi Stone, I am wondering how this issue is impacted by PE. Ideas?
Flags: needinfo?(sshih)
Can't reproduce it with nightly 55.0a1 (2017-05-17) (64-bit) on Windows 10 (with dom.w3c_pointer_events.enabled=false). Single click on a store, UA shows store information on the left side of the map. Double clicks can zoom the map. Wondering is there anything I missed
Assignee: nobody → sshih
Flags: needinfo?(sshih)
(In reply to Ming-Chou Shih [:stone] from comment #4)
Oh, I guess the problem only happened with touch.
(In reply to Ming-Chou Shih [:stone] from comment #5)
> (In reply to Ming-Chou Shih [:stone] from comment #4)
> Oh, I guess the problem only happened with touch.

Yes, according to the test report, this is an issue with touch.
It looks like single tap works fine (UA shows the store information on the left side of the map when single tab on some store). Double tap can't zoom in as our expectation.

Also found that the double tap didn't work on Edge and Canary when pointer event disabled.
(In reply to Ming-Chou Shih [:stone] from comment #7)
> It looks like single tap works fine (UA shows the store information on the
> left side of the map when single tab on some store). Double tap can't zoom
> in as our expectation.
> 
> Also found that the double tap didn't work on Edge and Canary when pointer
> event disabled.

Does that mean it's google maps issue?
Flags: needinfo?(sshih)
Hi guys,
Is this Google's issue after all? We are having a pre-Beta sign-off this week and I wanted to know if this is an effect of Pointer Events and if we should keep it in our radar or it's just a Google issue and we should ignore it for now. 
From comment #7 it seems that it's Google's problem :)
(In reply to Alexandru Simonca, QA (:asimonca) from comment #9)
> Hi guys,
> Is this Google's issue after all? We are having a pre-Beta sign-off this
> week and I wanted to know if this is an effect of Pointer Events and if we
> should keep it in our radar or it's just a Google issue and we should ignore
> it for now. 
> From comment #7 it seems that it's Google's problem :)

Very sorry for replying late. According to the testing results, I think it's Google's problem but I didn't dig deeper to double confirm it. I'd do more analysis when available (probably one or two weeks after).
Flags: needinfo?(sshih)
Priority: -- → P2
Verified with nightly build 59.0a1 (2018-01-04), single tap works fine and double tap still doesn't work. Edge also behaves the same. Can't test it with Chrome because now I can't find the flag to turn pointer event off. I think this is the problem of content. Feel free to re-open it if any concerns. Thanks.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.