The log persistence checkbox isn't vertically centered in the Toolbar

VERIFIED FIXED in Firefox 57

Status

()

Firefox
Developer Tools: Console
P1
normal
VERIFIED FIXED
3 months ago
a month ago

People

(Reporter: JuliaC, Assigned: bgrins)

Tracking

57 Branch
Firefox 57
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(firefox57 verified)

Details

(Whiteboard: [reserve-console-html])

MozReview Requests

()

Submitter Diff Changes Open Issues Last Updated
Loading...
Error loading review requests:

Attachments

(4 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

3 months ago
[Note]:
- see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1307881#c18 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1307881#c34

[Affected versions]:
- 57.0a1 (2017-09-10)

[Affected platforms]:
- Windows 10 x64
- Ubuntu 16.04 x64

[Steps to reproduce]:
1. Launch Firefox
2. Navigate to a random page (e.g. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/) 
3. Open the Console and inspect the "Persist Logs" checkbox from the filter UI right side

[Expected result]:
- The log persistence checkbox is properly displayed and fully functional

[Actual result]:
- The log persistence checkbox isn't vertically centered in the Toolbar (see the following screenshots: Windows platform https://goo.gl/PKizSk; Ubuntu platform https://goo.gl/aoDLN2)

[Regression range]:
- The issue is not a regression, since it's reproducible all the way back to 57.0a1 (2017-09-01), when bug 1307881 was implemented 

[Additional notes]:
- The issue seems to not affect the macOS platform
(Assignee)

Updated

3 months ago
Whiteboard: [console-html]

Updated

3 months ago
Flags: qe-verify?
Priority: -- → P3
Whiteboard: [console-html] → [reserve-console-html]
(Assignee)

Updated

3 months ago
Assignee: nobody → bgrinstead
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)
Comment hidden (mozreview-request)

Updated

3 months ago
Iteration: --- → 57.3 - Sep 19
Flags: qe-verify? → qe-verify+
Priority: P3 → P1

Comment 3

3 months ago
mozreview-review
Comment on attachment 8906696 [details]
Bug 1398760 - Flex align the console filter checkbox to correct vertical misalignment;

https://reviewboard.mozilla.org/r/178434/#review183770

Works nicely on Win10, thanks!

R+

Honza
Attachment #8906696 - Flags: review?(odvarko) → review+

Comment 4

3 months ago
mozreview-review
Comment on attachment 8906697 [details]
Bug 1398760 - Prevent text selection in console filter checkbox;

https://reviewboard.mozilla.org/r/178436/#review183772

Works for me, R+

Honza
Attachment #8906697 - Flags: review?(odvarko) → review+

Comment 5

3 months ago
Pushed by bgrinstead@mozilla.com:
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/eee73f48e071
Flex align the console filter checkbox to correct vertical misalignment;r=Honza
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/0e8adec38eb8
Prevent text selection in console filter checkbox;r=Honza
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/eee73f48e071
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/0e8adec38eb8
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 months ago
status-firefox57: affected → fixed
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 57
(Reporter)

Comment 7

3 months ago
The issue is verified fixed on 57.0a1 (2017-09-13) using Windows 10 x64, but still reproducible on Ubuntu 16.04 x64. Any thoughts about this?
Flags: needinfo?(odvarko)
Created attachment 8908136 [details]
persist-log.png

(In reply to Iulia Cristescu, QA [:JuliaC] from comment #7)
> The issue is verified fixed on 57.0a1 (2017-09-13) using Windows 10 x64, but
> still reproducible on Ubuntu 16.04 x64. Any thoughts about this?
I was testing this on my VM Ubuntu 16.04 x64 and it's vertically centered for me. See the screenshot.

What could be different in out configs?

Honza
Flags: needinfo?(odvarko)
(Reporter)

Comment 9

3 months ago
(In reply to Jan Honza Odvarko [:Honza] from comment #8)
> Created attachment 8908136 [details]
> persist-log.png
> 
> (In reply to Iulia Cristescu, QA [:JuliaC] from comment #7)
> > The issue is verified fixed on 57.0a1 (2017-09-13) using Windows 10 x64, but
> > still reproducible on Ubuntu 16.04 x64. Any thoughts about this?
> I was testing this on my VM Ubuntu 16.04 x64 and it's vertically centered
> for me. See the screenshot.
> 
> What could be different in out configs?
> 
> Honza

Maybe it's just an erroneous observation, but it seems to me that the "Persist Logs" button is placed at a shorter distance from the lower side of the Toolbar (https://goo.gl/5zUjyB).
(In reply to Iulia Cristescu, QA [:JuliaC] from comment #9)
> Maybe it's just an erroneous observation, but it seems to me that the
> "Persist Logs" button is placed at a shorter distance from the lower side of
> the Toolbar (https://goo.gl/5zUjyB).
Ah yes, the bottom gap is 1px thinner than the top one. 
If we move it up, the top one will be 1px thinner.
We could make the toolbar 1px taller I guess. 
But this could break things in other OSes.

Brian?

Honza
Flags: needinfo?(bgrinstead)
Note that the toolbar will be bigger (29px) when https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1307929 lands
Created attachment 8908604 [details]
persist-log-button.png

(In reply to Nicolas Chevobbe [:nchevobbe] from comment #11)
> Note that the toolbar will be bigger (29px) when
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1307929 lands
Cool, I have been testing with patch from that bug on Ubuntu
and it fixes the problem for me.
The top and bottom gaps are the same, see the attached screenshot
The label might be moved a bit yet, but let's move further 
testing into bug 1307929

Honza
Flags: needinfo?(bgrinstead)
(Reporter)

Comment 13

3 months ago
This means that we'll wait that bug 1307929 to land in order to finish the verification for bug 1398760?
(In reply to Iulia Cristescu, QA [:JuliaC] (PTO until September 25) from comment #13)
> This means that we'll wait that bug 1307929 to land in order to finish the
> verification for bug 1398760?
Yep, sounds good to me.

Honza
(Reporter)

Comment 15

a month ago
Verified again the fix using 57.0b13 (20171030163911). The checkbox is properly centered on Windows 10 x64 and Ubuntu 14.04 x86, but on macOS 10.13 (and macOS 10.11.6) the bottom gap is (2px) thinner than the top one (see the screenshot https://goo.gl/sfDLRr).
Flags: needinfo?(odvarko)
(In reply to Iulia Cristescu, QA [:JuliaC] from comment #15)
> Verified again the fix using 57.0b13 (20171030163911). The checkbox is
> properly centered on Windows 10 x64 and Ubuntu 14.04 x86, but on macOS 10.13
> (and macOS 10.11.6) the bottom gap is (2px) thinner than the top one (see
> the screenshot https://goo.gl/sfDLRr).

I created bug 1413894 to cover this.
Thanks for the testing!
Honza
Flags: needinfo?(odvarko)
(Reporter)

Comment 17

a month ago
Based on comment 15 and comment 16, I will mark this as verified fixed on Fx 57. Bug 1413894 will be assessed separately.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
status-firefox57: fixed → verified
Flags: qe-verify+
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.