[persist] publishing with a local file image with long filename never succeeds

RESOLVED EXPIRED

Status

SeaMonkey
Composer
RESOLVED EXPIRED
16 years ago
8 years ago

People

(Reporter: Brade, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
PowerPC
All

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: publish)

(Reporter)

Description

16 years ago
I created a file in Composer that had 3 local (file) images.
One of the images had a "long" name (23 characters?).
The name was shortened to only 20 characters plus the ".jpg" extension it had
before.

sidenote: I didn't think we shortened the filename if we didn't need to (but
that would belong in a different bug).

This bug is because the publishing progress dialog shows the original filename
as well as the newly shortened filename.  The original filename continues to
animate because it doesn't get the correct onStateChange calls (STOP?).

note: the Publish progess gets the filename from the "request" in the
onStateChange call

Adam--I'm assigning this to you because you have a patch related to the
shortening stuff already.  If you'd prefer, reassign this bug to me (if you
don't have cycles to investigate why the OnStateChange is being called with the
wrong request or being called at all).
(Reporter)

Updated

16 years ago
Summary: publishing with a local file with too many characters never succeeds → publishing with a local file image with long filename never succeeds
Whiteboard: publish

Comment 1

16 years ago
Try out the patch in bug 134890 to see if it fixes the problem.

The mac does something very screwy with long filenames, adding (octal)
\342\200\246 digits in filenames which are too long. I definitely don't do this
in my patch so try it out. I suspect that sequence means something on the mac
(e.g. a long ellipsis) so I'm checking out to see what might be causing it.
Depends on: 134890

Comment 2

16 years ago
FYI: I now realize why this causes multiple items to show up in publishing 
progress dialog: When we get the STATE_START message for an image, the filename
is the unalterred name of the source file, but after the name is truncated and
subsequent progresslistenter calls are made, these have the remote (alterred)
name, thus the progress dialog thinks it's a different image and adds another
item to the file list.

Comment 3

16 years ago
Was this fixed by Mach-O?

Comment 4

15 years ago
Is this still an issue to be resolved?
Summary: publishing with a local file image with long filename never succeeds → [persist] publishing with a local file image with long filename never succeeds

Comment 5

15 years ago
This bug is targeted at a Mac classic platform/OS, which is no longer supported
by mozilla.org. Please re-target it to another platform/OS if this bug applies
there as well or resolve this bug.

I will resolve this bug as WONTFIX in four weeks if no action has been taken.
To filter this and similar messages out, please filter for "mac_cla_reorg".
(Reporter)

Comment 6

15 years ago
Given that my original comment claims that a "long" name is 23 characters and
that the name was shortened to 20 characters plus the extension, I think this
bug is not OS-specific (MacOS limits for filenames is 31 characters).  However,
I do think that Adam addressed this in other patches he has done so perhaps this
should be resolved as a duplicate of one of those bugs.
OS: Mac System 9.x → All

Comment 7

15 years ago
The long file name stuff got reworked a long time ago and to the best of my 
knowledge was functioning properly on all platforms I had a chance to test it 
on. If a long file name was encountered it was truncated, preserving the 
extension and also avoiding duplicates.

On most platforms, the maximum filename length is 64 chars, but it is 31 on 
the Mac.

http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/embedding/components/webbrowserpersist/sr﷒0﷓

In theory, I should look at the volume for the proper max length instead of 
hardcode it but this is platform specific and too much effort. Perhaps this is 
something that can be looked at in future but the current behaviour seems to 
be fine for most.
Product: Browser → Seamonkey
Assignee: adamlock → nobody
QA Contact: sujay → composer

Comment 8

9 years ago
MASS-CHANGE:
This bug report is registered in the SeaMonkey product, but has been without a comment since the inception of the SeaMonkey project. This means that it was logged against the old Mozilla suite and we cannot determine that it's still valid for the current SeaMonkey suite. Because of this, we are setting it to an UNCONFIRMED state.

If you can confirm that this report still applies to current SeaMonkey 2.x nightly builds, please set it back to the NEW state along with a comment on how you reproduced it on what Build ID, or if it's an enhancement request, why it's still worth implementing and in what way.
If you can confirm that the report doesn't apply to current SeaMonkey 2.x nightly builds, please set it to the appropriate RESOLVED state (WORKSFORME, INVALID, WONTFIX, or similar).
If no action happens within the next few months, we move this bug report to an EXPIRED state.

Query tag for this change: mass-UNCONFIRM-20090614
Status: NEW → UNCONFIRMED

Comment 9

8 years ago
MASS-CHANGE:
This bug report is registered in the SeaMonkey product, but still has no comment since the inception of the SeaMonkey project 5 years ago.

Because of this, we're resolving the bug as EXPIRED.

If you still can reproduce the bug on SeaMonkey 2 or otherwise think it's still valid, please REOPEN it and if it is a platform or toolkit issue, move it to the according component.

Query tag for this change: EXPIRED-20100420
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.