User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020530 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020530 Windows, by default, stores filetype associations under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/classes, but associations listed in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/classes are given priority. Windows doesn't provide a UI to change per-user associations, but I did it by hand so my mom can continue to use IE without change. When Mozilla launches, it doesn't look there when checking if it is the default browser, when it should. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1.Copy mozilla-friendly filetype associations in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/classes to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software classes 2. Make Internet Explorer the default browser 3. Run Mozilla Actual Results: Mozilla reports itself as not being the default browser, when it actually is, although only for the user instead of system-wide Expected Results: Mozilla should have been satisfied that is is the default browser. Maybe a checkbox to make Mozilla the default for that user only. Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q257592 discusses per-user file-type associations for Windows 2000. For me, this article also applied to Windows XP
Reassinging to preferences backend for lack of a better component... this looks like a good idea, especially on larger multi-users windows systems such as Terminal Servers... users would not be able to change the global default browser, but could still change their own browser preference.
Assignee: asa → bnesse
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Component: Browser-General → Preferences: Backend
Ever confirmed: true
OS: Windows XP → Windows 95
QA Contact: asa → rvelasco
Punting to XP Apps... hopefully that it closer to where this belongs.
Assignee: bnesse → sgehani
Component: Preferences: Backend → XP Apps
QA Contact: rvelasco → paw
MASS-CHANGE: This bug report is registered in the SeaMonkey product, but has been without a comment since the inception of the SeaMonkey project. This means that it was logged against the old Mozilla suite and we cannot determine that it's still valid for the current SeaMonkey suite. Because of this, we are setting it to an UNCONFIRMED state. If you can confirm that this report still applies to current SeaMonkey 2.x nightly builds, please set it back to the NEW state along with a comment on how you reproduced it on what Build ID, or if it's an enhancement request, why it's still worth implementing and in what way. If you can confirm that the report doesn't apply to current SeaMonkey 2.x nightly builds, please set it to the appropriate RESOLVED state (WORKSFORME, INVALID, WONTFIX, or similar). If no action happens within the next few months, we move this bug report to an EXPIRED state. Query tag for this change: mass-UNCONFIRM-20090614
Status: NEW → UNCONFIRMED
MASS-CHANGE: This bug report is registered in the SeaMonkey product, but still has no comment since the inception of the SeaMonkey project 5 years ago. Because of this, we're resolving the bug as EXPIRED. If you still can reproduce the bug on SeaMonkey 2 or otherwise think it's still valid, please REOPEN it and if it is a platform or toolkit issue, move it to the according component. Query tag for this change: EXPIRED-20100420
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.