Trying to move the first unpinned topsite over a sponsored tile will create an empty placeholder.
Windows 10, Mac OSX 10.15
Position 1 and Position 2 have sponsored top sites.
- Download and install RO localized Firefox.
- Create an user.js and set: browser.topsites.useRemoteSetting = true and browser.search.region to "RO", connecting to the staging main-preview.
- Start the browser with the predefined profile.
- Open a new about:preferences#home and set topsites to be shown on 4 rows.
- Open a new tab.
- Observe the topsites section.
- Drag the third topsite over the first one (sponsored)
- An empty placeholder is created on the third position.
- If any other topsite is moved over the first position (over a sponsored tile), it will first be placed on the first unlocked position (3rd position in this scenario) and redoing the operation will create the empty placeholder.
The topsite is placed back to its initial position (3rd in this case). There are no empty placeholders created.