User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20021130 file: URL does not work in <a href= tag when page loaded from Internet. URL does work when page loaded from workstation local disk. Page has a link: <a href="file:///C|/bradmcc/cloud9/Bradsmap.html" target="smLocal">dell-1</a> When I access the page on my local disk, the target page comes up in a new browser window. When I access the page from the Internet (see URL, above) http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/myentry.html then nothing happens. I have tried other permutations of the URL, like : or // instead of ///. Nothing seems to work. This page always works in Netscape 4.7X. If you are wondering why I want this feature, this is my "personal web portal" page -- my "instrument panel" (I have a similar page for work). The test links are labelled "dell-1" and "dell-2" in the page (near top right, to left of clock Applet). It dawned on me that you don't have my local disk, so I added a link that does not exist on my computer, either: "nowhere". In Netscape 4.7X, this pops up a new window and a File Not Found message; in Mozilla 1.2.1, nothing happens. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. load http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/myentry.html 2x. click on "dell-1" or "dell-2". 3x. nothing happens in Mozilla 1.2.1. Window pops up with http://www.users.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/Bradsmap.html in Netscape 4.7X 2. YOU SHOULD: click on "nowhere". 3. nothing happens in Mozilla 1.2.1. Window pops up with File Not Found message in Netscape 4.7X Actual Results: In Mozilla 1.2.1, nothing happens. In Netscape 4.7X, new window pops up, as explained above. Expected Results: Pop up new browser window with either File Not Found message, or displaying the page loaded from local disk. I looked at previous bugs. This seems a different problem, because everything works correctly when I load the page from my local disk. The problem occurs with a file:/// URL link in a page loaded from the Internet (i.e., from http://...). I am running Windows 2000 SP2.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 17 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
A developer responded to my bug report with the solution to my difficulty. Find your all.js file in your mozilla directory and change the line with "checkloaduri" from true to false. The developer also said there is a security loophole here, which I have not pursued (yet...), but which you should be aware of if you read this.
Status: VERIFIED → CLOSED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.