Closed Bug 194722 Opened 18 years ago Closed 8 months ago
remote xul overlays broken
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20030120 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.2.1) Gecko/20030120 Working on a web application... mozilla versions 1.2.x have caused remote xul overlay inclusions to be broken... code such as : -- <?xml version="1.0"?> <?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://navigator/skin" type="text/css"?> <?xul-overlay href="sidebar/sidebar.xul"?> <?xul-overlay href="reports/reports.xul"?> <window ... -- puts the browser in a constant loading state until the connection finally times out. None of the included files have any problems loading on their own (ie. directly through URL). and Mozilla 1.0.1 works fine! I was not able to find any such information in the bug database nor could anyone help on #mozilla... Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Write XUL app 2. Include some remote XUL overlays (ie. put app on HTTP server) 3. Does not load Actual Results: Browser stays at 'Transferring data from hostname.com...' (endless loading...) and then later times out. There are NO real connection issues. Expected Results: Loaded the application and included remote xul files... works fine locally, but problems over http. Worked fine in version 1.0.1
1.3b does NOT fix this.
Yeah, this is a known problem. Large chunks of the overlay and fastload code assume that overlays are local (1.0 did not have fastload, so does not have this issue). I think this is a dup, but I could be wrong....
Reporter or Neil: Do you know if this still is an issue with a current Mozilla build?
Fastload should not be an issue here; fastload should only be called for chrome: URIs, if it's being called here, there's a bug in the XUL code. The overlay code isn't smart; we need to block the XUL pageload until all the overlays have been attached, but we don't want to block the browser UI.
Severity: major → normal
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Whiteboard: DUPEME? → remote-xul
Well I think I have fastload and xul cache off so it's the overlay code.
Component: XP Toolkit/Widgets: XUL → XUL
QA Contact: shrir → xptoolkit.widgets
Doesn't seem to load constantly anymore in FF 3.0.11 but the overlay doesn't work either. Guess this overlay is just being ignored.
spl on #xul just told me that this bug seems to be fixed. if the overlay loads from the same domain, then it works. but loading from a remote location fails which of course makes sense when considering security, espacially XSS. The reason I wrote some minutes ago the bug would still exist: I used the URL attached to this bugreport, http://nrr.dnsalias.net/window.xul But the overlay this file is loading comes from http://neil.rashbrook.org/ and therefore is blocked for being from a remote location. Using http://neil.rashbrook.org/window.xul to verify this bug gives you a correct overlay in FF 3.0.11. Would be nice if somebody could tell since when this works again.
I can't do that but I can at least fix the url ;-) Better still would be to work out how to host the two files on Bugzilla, but I'm too lazy to do that.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 8 months ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.