bugzilla.mozilla.org will be intermittently unavailable on Saturday, March 24th, from 16:00 until 20:00 UTC.

Address Book should check for both c and countryName attributes in LDAP search results



MailNews Core
LDAP Integration
15 years ago
10 years ago


(Reporter: Aleksandar Milivojevic, Assigned: (not reading, please use seth@sspitzer.org instead))


Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)




15 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.00 (Unknown/1.0; 999-bit)
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030701

In core.schema that comes with OpenLDAP server, country name attribute is
defined as:

attributetype ( NAME ( 'c' 'countryName' ) ...

If I enter the country information (two letter code) for a person, and leave
this definition as is, Mozilla will not display it.  However, if I change
core.schema file to read:

attributetype ( NAME ( 'countryName' 'c' ) ...

now Mozilla displays the country information in address book.

I guess that LDAP server will return only the first form it finds in attribute
definition (either c or countryName), and Mozilla looks only for countryName in
the search result.

Since changing the schema file breaks some other MUAs that look only for c
attribute (Outlook for example, and probably some other older applications), may
I suggest small change in Mozilla code to make it more robust and less dependant
on how country name attribute is defined.  The change would be to look for both
c and countryName attribute in search result (LDAP server should return either c
or countryName, but not both).

While we are at it, would it be possible to search for co and
friendlyCountryName attributes also, and to use this in place of c (or
countryName) when present?  This way, user would be presented with full country
name (instead of two letter abrevation) when co attribute is available.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:

Comment 1

14 years ago
Confirmed this bug with Thunderbird 0.6 release and openldap-2.1.25.
Product: MailNews → Core

Comment 2

14 years ago
This is still an issue in Thunderbird 1, as I just found out.

The table in http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/specs/ldap.html
suggests that there are other attributes wich work the same way already, e.g.
"surname" and "sn". So this appears to bee a simple matter to fix it.
Unfortunately, I don't speek C++.
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01".

This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that
bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are
highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code.

While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we
are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce
this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a
copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and
you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug
(given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more
reproduction information if you have it.

If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not
changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

The latest beta releases can be obtained from:
Firefox:     http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html
Seamonkey:   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This has been implemented under bug 119291, ldap attributes in address book are
no customisable. Please download a latest build to try it out.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 119291 ***
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Product: Core → MailNews Core
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.