User-Agent: Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031208 Fairly self-explanitory. Go to a page in Cyrillic, click on Tools, then Translate Page. It will show a string of ?'s instead of translating the page. I have tried many pages in Cyrillic, but all have failed to translate. Above is the first page I had a problem with, but again any page in Cyrillic exhibits the same problems. This is fairly important...Russian is the 5th most popular language in the world, and Cyrillic is used for more than just Russian. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Go to a website in Cyrillic (ie, Russian) 2. Click on Tools, then Translate Page Actual Results: A bunch of ?'s appear instead of an actual translation of the page. Expected Results: It should have translated the page into English. The page is originally in Russian in this case, though other languages (Ukrainian, etc) also use the Cyrillic alphabet. I have only ever used the default theme. My computer is a 650 MHz Pentium III, running Windows 98 SE. I am not sure on the severity...to me, it is Normal, since I know quite a bit of Russian already. For some people, it could be considered Major, since one of the main advantages of Mozilla over IE is the translation feature, and Cyrillic is very popular.
http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en afaik we use google for translation, and it doesn't speak russian.
Assignee: general → guifeatures
Component: Browser-General → XP Apps: GUI Features
From the "automatically translated" link at the top of that page: What languages can be translated into English? Currently, Google offers English translation from French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. So not much we can do here, eh?
This bug would be fixed by bug 228004 Also, there is a link to a bookmarklets site to use the Fish to translate pages in bug 228004.
*** Bug 240198 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01". This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code. While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug (given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more reproduction information if you have it. If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved. Thank you for your help in this matter. The latest beta releases can be obtained from: Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html Seamonkey: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.