17.71 KB, image/png
31.87 KB, image/png
20.59 KB, text/plain
5.26 KB, application/zip
1.00 KB, patch
Jungshik Shin: review+
Ben Goodger (use ben at mozilla dot org for email): superreview+
Ben Goodger (use ben at mozilla dot org for email): approval-aviary+
|Details | Diff | Splinter Review|
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040608 Firefox/0.8.0+ Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040608 Firefox/0.8.0+ I use File -> Import and import bookmarks and settings from Opera browser (version 7.51). Problem is that national characters looks bad. Opera 7.51: Look at "opera-bookmark.png" Firefox 0.9 RC: Look at "firefox-bookmark.png" Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. 2. 3.
Attachment #150557 - Attachment mime type: image/jpeg → image/png
I can confirm this with 0.9 on windows XP importing from Opera 7.5
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Example URL: http://www.idnes.cz/ (v. screenshots).
I don't know if this is the same bug or I should open another one. When I imported bookmarks from Mozilla all my bookmarks with apostrophs were imported incorrectly. For example "JLP's" was imported as "JLP's". This is with Firefox 0.9.1 on Windows XP.
No, this isn't the same bug.
Same thing happens with Finnish characters ( ö,ä,Ö,Ä ). Bookmarks (or bookmark folders) containing these characters are not properly imported from Opera. This bug exists also in the Linux version of Firefox. All local characters ( ö,ä,Ö,Ä ) are shown as ~Ä (tilde followed by capital A with two dots over it). Probably the same thing happens with Swedish ( å,Å ) characters, but I can not confirm it.
Can anyone upload an opera bookmarks file? I need to know how they store non-ASCII characters in bookmarks file. Taking.
Assignee: bugs → jshin
Summary: Bad import bookmarks from Opera (national characters looks bad) → Bad import bookmarks from Opera (non-ASCII characters garbled)
Created attachment 156964 [details] Opera bookmarks file Here's an Opera bookmarks file with one Hebrew site and one Japanese. The encoding of this file is UTF-8, but note that starts like this: Opera Hotlist version 2.0 Options: encoding = utf8, version=3 Possibly the file could be in other encodings and we need to parse the "Options" line?
(In reply to comment #9) Thanks. Somehow 'File | Import' doesn't work for me in Firefox when I choose an opera bookmarks file. I ended up removing ~/.mozilla/firefox to make it believe this is the first-run so that it prompts me to answer from which program to import bookmarks/preferences. > Options: encoding = utf8, version=3 > > Possibly the file could be in other encodings and we need to parse the > "Options" line? Maybe, that's the case. I didn't have any trouble importing (when I ran firefox for the first time) opera bookmarks file in UTF-8. Pavel, can you take a look at what 'Options' line of your Opera bookmarks file is like? You can upload it here if you want.
(In reply to comment #10) > Pavel, can you take a look at what 'Options' line of your Opera bookmarks file > is like? You can upload it here if you want. I upload example of Opera bookmars. With this file i have the same problem. 'Options' line --------------- Options: encoding = utf8, version=3
I just tried to import my Opera 7.54 bookmarks into Firefox 0.9.3, and the import process stopped abruptly when it reached the folder that I will paste below from Opera's bookmarks file. When I went back into Opera and put in a name for the folder, it worked perfectly. ---------------- Start here in Opera6.adr #URL ID=314 NAME=Top4x4Sites.com URL=http://top4x4sites.com/top.htm CREATED=1018320954 VISITED=1018320954 - #FOLDER ID=315 CREATED=1093150353 - --------------------------------------------- End Opera6.adr
Firefox 1.0 RC1 has still this problem.
I can reproduce this on Windows, but not on Linux. It's a mystery because I can't find any platform-specific code in nsOperaProfileMigrator.cpp (especially ParseBookmarkFolder())that can affect importing. On Windows, UTF-8 strings are interpreted as if they're in ISO-8859-1, but I couldn't figure out where that happens by inspection. I need to build a debug build on Windows and track it down.
I think that i know where is a problem. I will create a patch.
Comment on attachment 163947 [details] [diff] [review] Patch r=jshin Aha. that's why I didn't see it on my trunk build of firefox on Linux while firefox 1.0PR on Windows has a problem. I thought the aviary-1.0 branch and the trunk are are almost in sync as far as the profile migrator is concerned. The trunk source doesn't have a single line of 'ASCIItoUTF16' which would have turned up my alarm level immediately. All I saw was 'CopyUTF8toUTF16'.
this 1.0 only.
OS: Windows XP → All
Version: unspecified → 1.0 Branch
Comment on attachment 163947 [details] [diff] [review] Patch since this is isolated, firstname.lastname@example.org. please land asap. freeze is tuesday.
fix checked into aviary-1.0 branch. thanks for sr/a and the patch.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.