We need to rework the chrome registry and chrome urls to map to jar files. The latest word on this was the thread: news://news.mozilla.org/3838BA4B.4963840C%40netscape.com
I am of the opinion (still, after more thought) that the search path should be hardcoded in 5.0, since to do it any other way requires making the UI cumbersome (since the search path must necessarily be exposed to the user because two JARs might share the same skin).
Reports from M13 usage is that it can take as much as 200MB (!!) to install Seamonkey on the mac (non hfs+ disks, which are still very common). Please let us fix this for beta or we are really going to be the laughing stock of the solar system.
Do we really know how much work this will be? In my last conversation with Hyatt on this, it seemed like it would take scrubbing through large sections of the code to get the true benefits of this. The bug is titled "rework chrome URLs..." but isn't it the case that once we have the ability to reference chrome URLs in JAR files, we will need to reorgainize all of the XUL files so that they can live in JARs? It was following this line of reasoning that led David and myself to concluded that this couldn't be done for Beta (this is a good chunk of the work that needs to be done to make the app truly skinnable as well).
I am of the opinion that this could probably wait until after beta1. Doing the conversion is going to take time and involve hacking the chrome registry. It will affect i18n and the localization folks, who are expecting to have locale switching working by beta1 (and now have it working using the current scheme). If we do switch over to jars, we'll end up having to go the whole nine yards, since I don't think we can break locale switching in beta1.
Chris S. says he wouldn't hold beta for this now. Erasing PDT+ designation.
Moving to M15.
Hyatt should own this part now.
Adding 'skins' keyword to selected chrome bugs. Please add any omissions. Sorry for any mistakes...
Mass-moving all M16 non-feature bugs to M17, which we still consider to be part of beta2
Since when is this not a feature bug? I think we this needs to be done sooner rather than later so that we have time to work the kinks out.
You're right, this should have been marked as feature, doing so now. Thanks for moving it back.
Mass-adding beta2 keyword to all skins bugs.
This bug is dependent on getting the chrome resources actually bundled into JARs.
What jar work is this depending on?
[nsbeta2-] since Phil thinks JARs out for beta2
No, this has to go in. I think Hyatt's done it already anyway.
No, he says it is 5 minutes for him, but cannot be done until after some JAR work we don't have the bug # for. Does anyone know?
18433 is the repackaging bug this depends on, not the other way around. Removing 18433 from the blocks list, will add to depends next.
18433 is the repackaging bug that results in jars for this bug. Adding to dependency list and updating status whiteboard.
the chrome registry is now ready and willing to point into jars.
*spam* changing qa contact from firstname.lastname@example.org to me (BlakeR1234@aol.com) on 121 open or resolved (but not verified) bugs. sorry for the spam everybody, but most of these bugs would just remain dormant and not checked by QA otherwise. I'm not sure how so many bugs have nobody as their QA contact, but I suspect this is the fault of some sort of bugzilla corruption that happened at some point (most of these bugs are in the 20000-26000 range, and I don't see where in the activity log that QA contact explicitly changed to email@example.com) Anyways, sorry again for spam. If you really get annoyed, I'm usually available in #mozilla on IRC for torture.