Darwin 7 builds crash on startup

RESOLVED EXPIRED

Status

()

Core
Build Config
--
critical
RESOLVED EXPIRED
13 years ago
8 years ago

People

(Reporter: Yves de Champlain, Unassigned)

Tracking

({crash})

1.7 Branch
PowerPC
Other
crash
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(4 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

13 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; fr-ca) AppleWebKit/125.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/125.9
Build Identifier: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.6/src/

Mozilla built on Darwin 7 crashes at startup, even before building a stack (gdb core: no stack).  Mozilla 
built on MacOSX 10.3 will not run on Darwin OS because it links to the CoreServices framework which is 
proprietary and MacOSX only. 

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.
(Reporter)

Comment 1

13 years ago
PS : I also tried mozilla-1.7.2 on OpenDarwin-7.2.1 and it crashed at startup too.
I also tried various configurations.

Comment 2

13 years ago
MacOSX builds require CoreServices and I don't believe that's going to change
for the functionality required.  

When building on Darwin 7, what options are you using?  Please attach the
configure output of the build.
Keywords: crash
OS: MacOS X → other
Summary: Mozilla won't run on Darwin OS because it links to CoreServices Framework → Darwin 7 builds crash on startup
(Reporter)

Comment 3

13 years ago
Created attachment 156759 [details]
config.log for mozilla 1.7.2 on darwin 7.2.1

./configure --enable-default-toolkit=gtk2 --mandir=${prefix}/share/man \
		--enable-optimize --enable-crypto --enable-calendar

Comment 4

13 years ago
I meant the actual ouptut of the configure command. config.log is a bit harder
to follow.  

Does a debug build (--disable-optimize --enable-debug) exhibit the same crash
w/o a stack behavior?

(Reporter)

Comment 5

13 years ago
Created attachment 156825 [details]
configure output
(Reporter)

Comment 6

13 years ago
Created attachment 156826 [details]
what I tried in gdb

Note that I am not very good with gdb (if you have not guessed yet)
(Reporter)

Comment 7

13 years ago
The configure output and gdb output are both with --disable-optimize and
--enable-debug.  I also have the whole build output if you want (5 Mb)

Comment 8

13 years ago
I see the gdb attempt is after doing a 'make install'.  You'll need to run gdb
with the proper library paths set for that.  Just try `./mozilla -g` .  Also,
have you tried running mozilla from dist/ ?  

cd dist/bin && ./mozilla

(Reporter)

Comment 9

13 years ago
./mozilla -g ! thanks for that one

The program gets through a bunch of _dyld_* functions
and then seems to crash in crt.c which is referenced in
/usr/src/APPLE... (probably crt2.o)

So I tried to build it with FSF gcc-3.4.0 but the build does not
get passed 
nsIConsoleListener.idl
../../dist/bin/xpidl -m header -w -I. -I../../dist/idl -o
_xpidlgen/nsIConsoleListener nsIConsoleListener.idl
Assertion failed: state->tree, file xpidl_idl.c, line 60
(Reporter)

Comment 10

13 years ago
note that for FSF gcc, I had to quickly remove -fPascal-strings and -Wmost since
thos flags were not recognized.  Maybe it is related with the build failure.

Comment 11

13 years ago
Can you attach the complete stack trace from the './mozilla -g' debug run?
(Reporter)

Comment 12

13 years ago
Created attachment 157147 [details]
gdb.log with backtrace

Comment 13

13 years ago
bryner, any ideas what's going on here with gdb?
(Reporter)

Comment 14

13 years ago
Could someone point me from which version did mozilla begin to include
CoreServices ?  I know 1.0.0 does not show this problem.

Comment 15

13 years ago
Mozilla 1.0.0 doesn't build on Darwin/OSX, either, iirc.  We didn't officially
start supporting Darwin/OSX until Mozilla 1.3 or so and afaik, we've always
required CoreServices.  We didn't start supporting non-OSX darin builds until
some time after that (moz1.5?).  

There is a related bug (bug #249028) to make non-OSX darwin builds not require
CoreServices as they currently do.
Product: Browser → Seamonkey
This is an automated message, with ID "auto-resolve01".

This bug has had no comments for a long time. Statistically, we have found that
bug reports that have not been confirmed by a second user after three months are
highly unlikely to be the source of a fix to the code.

While your input is very important to us, our resources are limited and so we
are asking for your help in focussing our efforts. If you can still reproduce
this problem in the latest version of the product (see below for how to obtain a
copy) or, for feature requests, if it's not present in the latest version and
you still believe we should implement it, please visit the URL of this bug
(given at the top of this mail) and add a comment to that effect, giving more
reproduction information if you have it.

If it is not a problem any longer, you need take no action. If this bug is not
changed in any way in the next two weeks, it will be automatically resolved.
Thank you for your help in this matter.

The latest beta releases can be obtained from:
Firefox:     http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/
Thunderbird: http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/releases/1.5beta1.html
Seamonkey:   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/
This bug has been automatically resolved after a period of inactivity (see above
comment). If anyone thinks this is incorrect, they should feel free to reopen it.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → EXPIRED

Updated

8 years ago
Component: Build Config → Build Config
Product: SeaMonkey → Core
Version: Trunk → 1.7 Branch
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.