If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

Firefox Refuses to Close Completely

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 239223

Status

()

Firefox
General
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 239223
13 years ago
12 years ago

People

(Reporter: Joel Nackman, Assigned: Blake Ross)

Tracking

1.0 Branch
x86
Windows XP
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(2 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

13 years ago
Whenever I close Firefox, it dosen't actually close.  The window closes, but
when I open up the Task Manager and switch to the Processes tab, Firefox is
still running.  This means that if I close Firefox and then open a new window
later, the new window will not open because I actually have two firefox.exe's
running.  The only way for me to reopen Firefox is to end the process in the
Task Manager and then open it again.  Also, if it helps at all, this happens in
Thunderbird too.

Comment 1

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #0)
> Whenever I close Firefox, it dosen't actually close.  The window closes, but
> when I open up the Task Manager and switch to the Processes tab, Firefox is
> still running.  This means that if I close Firefox and then open a new window
> later, the new window will not open because I actually have two firefox.exe's
> running.  The only way for me to reopen Firefox is to end the process in the
> Task Manager and then open it again.  Also, if it helps at all, this happens in
> Thunderbird too.

This has been happening to me for a couple of weeks on multiple computers in my
office.  I have a tendency to believe that it is Java related.  I have not seen
any response to it in my bug searches.  Maybe someone can point me in the right
direction?  My email is jutsman@gmail.com.

Comment 2

13 years ago
If this was confirmed to Java related, we would like to know it public including
Java plugin version being as a reason.

Comment 3

13 years ago
Joel: Do you have any extensions installed?
(Reporter)

Comment 4

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #3)
> Joel: Do you have any extensions installed?
Short Answer: Yes.  

Long Answer:
I recently switched from Windows to Linux so I don't regularly use the Windows
version any more.  However, if you would like the names of the extensions, I
still have Windows on my computer.

Comment 5

13 years ago
I have been noticing this issue as well for the past few days since I upgraded
my version to 1.03

Additionally, when I killed the process from the task manager, and restart
firefox, my profile is not loaded by default. 
I need to kill firefox process again in order to get my profile loaded (my
bookmark toolbar for instance)

Comment 6

13 years ago
Confirmed on Firefox 1.0.4 running Windows XP Home SP2. This happened to me in
1.0.3 too though.

Comment 7

13 years ago
I confirm the same behaviour using 1.0.3 under Win98 with several extensions loaded.

I'm attaching two text files. One lists the open handles and the other the dlls
attached to the incompletely closed FIREFOX.EXE process. The files were
generated by ProcessExplorer while Firefox was ostensibly closed but was still
visible in the process list.

Cheers!

Dave

Comment 8

13 years ago
Created attachment 183504 [details]
Open handles

Top: A list of running processes.
Below: A list of handles open and attached to the (ostensibly closed) Firefox
process.

Comment 9

13 years ago
Created attachment 183505 [details]
DLL hooks

Top: A list of running processes
Below: A list of DLLs hooked to the (ostensibly closed) Firefox process

Comment 10

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #5)
> I have been noticing this issue as well for the past few days since
> I upgraded my version to 1.03
> 
> Additionally, when I killed the process from the task manager, and
> restart firefox, my profile is not loaded by default. 
> I need to kill firefox process again in order to get my profile 
> loaded (my bookmark toolbar for instance)

Yes, I did not see this "ghost process" problem prior to upgrading to 1.0.3.

Originally, I also had the profile loading failure, as well. For me, that was an
extensions incompatibility thing. I fixed it by uninstalling all extenstions and
then re-installing them.

The flaw wherein firefox does not close completely and remains as a ghost
process is separate, as far as I can tell.

Cheers!

Dave

Comment 11

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #1)
> This has been happening to me for a couple of weeks on multiple 
> computers in my office.  I have a tendency to believe that it is
> Java related.  I have not seen any response to it in my bug 
> searches. 
> 
> Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?  My email is 
> jutsman@gmail.com.

It don't know whether it's java related. (BTW, I'm running the latest JVM from
Sun.) What I can say is that it doesn't happen for me every time I close
Firefox. It may be that it happens only when I've used the JVM during the
session. I'll keep my eyes open to try to answer that question.

Dave

Comment 12

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #11)
> (In reply to comment #1)
> > This has been happening to me for a couple of weeks on multiple 
> > computers in my office.  I have a tendency to believe that it is
> > Java related.  I have not seen any response to it in my bug 
> > searches. 

[snip]
 
> It don't know whether it's java related. (BTW, I'm running the
> latest JVM from Sun.) What I can say is that it doesn't happen for
> me every time I close Firefox. It may be that it happens only when
> I've used the JVM during the session. I'll keep my eyes open to try
> to answer that question.

Well, unless this site uses Java (which I don't think it does), I can confirm
that it's not the invoking of the JVM that's causing the ghost process. I opened
Firefox to this site and closed it and the ghost process resulted.

It is inconsistent but I can't piece together what's causing that inconsistent
behaviour.

Dave

Comment 13

12 years ago
I am also seeing this behavior.  I began seeing it when i upgraded to 1.0.4.  I
have since moved to 1.0.6 and I am still seeing the problem.  I do not believe
it is Java related because it is happening when the jvm never starts.  If I
disconnect my network connectivity and start Firefox...I still get the behavior
even though it never made any connection.

Comment 14

12 years ago
I too am getting the same problem running firefox 1.0.6 and my friend has the
same problem also using the sam version.  Any sugestions would be helpful. BTW I
never had this problem in earlier versions.

Comment 15

12 years ago
I am seeing this problem still with 1.5RC2.

Comment 16

12 years ago
I am seeing this behavior still in 1.5RC2.  I also see it with a few other apps, including Quicken 2001.  My guess is that it is something with XP Tablet, although I'm sure M$ would say it is a feature and not a bug.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 239223 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.