SQL Extension fails to install correctly



14 years ago
2 years ago


(Reporter: bryan_hogan, Assigned: janv)


Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)




14 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217

I have installed the SQL Extension from the
page. The installation appears to work correctly. I close down Mozilla and
restart it, and the first time I run Mozilla I receive the following alert: "The
procedure entry point ?UTF8ToNewUnicode@@YAPAGABVnsACString@@@Z could not be
located in the dynamic link library xpcom.dll." (Note that this message is not
displayed on subsequent startups.) When I go to the preferences screen I have an
option for "SQL Support". However, when I try to add an alias I fill in the
details but nothing happens when I click on the OK button. In the end I simply
have to cancel the dialog, and the alias is not saved.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install the SQL Extension
2. Close down Mozilla
3. Re-open Mozilla
4. Choose Edit, Preferences
5. Go to SQL Support tab
6. Click on 'Add Alias' button
7. Fill in details
8. Click on OK

Actual Results:  
Nothing - dialog is not closed, no messages displayed, nothing occurs. In the
end I use the cancel button or simply close the window. The Alias cannot be saved.

Expected Results:  
The alias should be saved so that I can test the SQL Support code.

I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 2 installed. I have MySQL installed and
working (Version MySQL 4.1.9-nt via TCP/IP). I also have Microsoft Visual Studio
.NET 2003 installed - I only mention this because it has interfered with some
other programs. As well as Mozilla I also have Firefox and Thunderbird
installed. Firefox is my main browser - I've only downloaded Mozilla as I'm an
application developer and I'm interested in using Mozilla to develop stand-alone
applications for databases - hence my interest in the SQL Support Extension.

Comment 1

14 years ago
I can confirm this with Mozilla 1.7.3 on Linux (FC3). I don't know how to
proceed and use the SQL extension.
Ever confirmed: true
OS: Windows XP → All
That error means the component was binary incompatible with that version of
Mozilla -- it is not using the clean embedding interface. Registration of the
binary components failed which is why the chrome hooks didn't work. You will get
that error everytime you do something that triggers component registration --
installing a new component or going to about:plugins

Unless the SQL extension is rewritten not to depend on non-embedding Mozilla
interfaces (e.g. it could compile in the string library) then it needs to be
updated each time Mozilla is and people will have to grab the correct version.
This feat is probably beyond the Mozilla Update site.

Comment 3

2 years ago
The SQL extension and component are no longer active.
Last Resolved: 2 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
Product: Core → Core Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.