[SVG] Allow gdiplus.dll in /plugins/

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

()

Firefox
Build Config
RESOLVED INVALID
13 years ago
13 years ago

People

(Reporter: Peter6, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows 2000
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

13 years ago
For all non-winXP windows builds allow gdiplus.dll in the plugins directory.
(Currently it only works from /Mozilla Firefox/)
Otherwise it's removed every time FF is uninstalled
(Reporter)

Comment 1

13 years ago
CC: T.Rowley

Comment 2

13 years ago
I don't get it. What is this bug about (why would you put gdiplus.dll in the
plugins dir?)
(Reporter)

Comment 3

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #2)
> I don't get it. What is this bug about (why would you put gdiplus.dll in the
> plugins dir?)
Because gdiplus.dll is not included in the build.
It has to be manually added to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

If you uninstall or overinstall the build all contents of that directory will be
removed , so you have to manually add it again,

The plugin directory is wrong because gdiplus.dll is no plugin.

>Because gdiplus.dll is not included in the build.
>It has to be manually added to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

And why do you don't put it in windows\system32\ where it belongs ?

Comment 5

13 years ago
INVALID.  the plugins folder is for plugins ;-)
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
(Reporter)

Comment 6

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #4)
> The plugin directory is wrong because gdiplus.dll is no plugin.
> 
> >Because gdiplus.dll is not included in the build.
> >It has to be manually added to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
> 
> And why do you don't put it in windows\system32\ where it belongs ?
> 
It does NOT belong there because it will conflict with other programms
Win 98-win2k has another dll for it.
As soon as gdiplus.dll is put in the a nr of graphic apps stopp working

Comment 7

13 years ago
> And why do you don't put it in windows\system32\ where it belongs ?

Also, note Microsoft's redist policy (quoting):

For Windows XP use the system-supplied gdiplus.dll.  Do not install a new
gdiplus.dll over the system-supplied version (it will fail due to Windows File
Protection).  

For Windows 2000, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98,
install gdiplus.dll into the private directory of the application not into the
system directory. 

(Reporter)

Comment 8

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #5)
> INVALID.  the plugins folder is for plugins ;-)
and GDIpluss.dll isn't used as a plugin ?

How does it differ from:
SVG6RR.dll = Adobe SVG-6 runtime library
SVG6RFF.dll = Adobe SVG-6 runtime library
that do belong in the plugins directory ?




no, GDIplus.dll is a GDI system enhancement from Microsoft that comes with
windowsXP+.
SVG6RFF.dl and SVG6RR.dll are part of the Adobe SVG plugin and this files are
loaded from the plugin.

(Reporter)

Comment 10

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #9)
> no, GDIplus.dll is a GDI system enhancement from Microsoft that comes with
> windowsXP+.
indeed XP, and it is not used/usable on any other M$ OS.

Somehow this discussion is absolutely leading nowhere.

I simply wanted FF to look in homedir, windows/system32/ AND /plugins/.
(MM strongly advises not to put it in system32 if you don't have w2k3 or XP)

I don't care if it's a technically spoken a plugin or not.

It will simply save me the trouble of having to manually copy the file into the
zipped builds 5 times per day (the number of times I update).
>Somehow this discussion is absolutely leading nowhere.
This is a personal "problem" for you and there are technical reasons to not do it. 
Why Do you don't use a small script/batchfile ?

It's a simple task for a batch-file: download the current .zip from the ftp,
delete the old build, uncompress the new build and copy your gdiplus.dll at the
end. You need unzip.exe, ftp (is coming with windows) or wget and a text editor
to do that.
and if you use zipped builds you are manually deleting the files. Why Do you
don't mark the file write-protected ?



(Reporter)

Comment 12

13 years ago
(In reply to comment #11)
> >Somehow this discussion is absolutely leading nowhere.
> This is a personal "problem" for you and there are technical reasons to not do
it. 
> Why Do you don't use a small script/batchfile ?
> 
> It's a simple task for a batch-file: download the current .zip from the ftp,
> delete the old build, uncompress the new build and copy your gdiplus.dll at the
> end. You need unzip.exe, ftp (is coming with windows) or wget and a text editor
> to do that.
Yeah, except I have about 10 builds I normally have installed.
Which makes it far less easy

> and if you use zipped builds you are manually deleting the files. Why Do you
> don't mark the file write-protected ?
That doesn't work if you're admin

I suppose I'll have to live with it untill gdiplus.dll is ditched in favor of Cairo.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.