I noticed that after I wrote this testcase for select and select1 that the labels didn't show up and that it gave off warnings in nsXFormsUtils::GetNodeValue. It looks like that instead of the labels binding to the description node, they bind to the document and are returning a nodeType of nsIDOMNode::DOCUMENT_NODE which we don't expect.
Created attachment 201106 [details]
Should see a select1 with Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate as items.
Created attachment 201548 [details]
better testcase - both itemset/repeat are affected
Created attachment 201549 [details] [diff] [review]
Issue is simple - itemset/repeat were passing in a domElement to ->SetContext. However, a attribute node is not a dom element, and thus the QI from dom node to dom element failed.
checked into trunk
checked into MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH via bug 323691. Leaving open for now until it gets into 1.8.0
verfied fixed on MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH