Windows cannot find 'http:

VERIFIED DUPLICATE of bug 359630

Status

()

Firefox
Shell Integration
--
trivial
VERIFIED DUPLICATE of bug 359630
12 years ago
11 years ago

People

(Reporter: Gerry, Unassigned)

Tracking

2.0 Branch
x86
Windows XP
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

12 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2

Since installing latest Firefox update and also Windows Genuine Advantage Update KB905474 I get a warning Box saying Windows cannot find 'http: when I use any short cuts to web sites. They still open but I have to shut the box down. More annoyance than anything else.


Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Hit short cut link to most used web sites
2. Warning box always appears.
3. Site opens irrespective of warning
Actual Results:  
Site opens fine its just an annoyance having to shut the warning box down each time.

Expected Results:  
No warning box to say Windows cannot find the site when Firefox has.

Comment 1

12 years ago
I use the 'deskCut' addon to create 'shortcuts' to the desktop Could this be why I also have this problem?
(nb my system gives a 'critical stop' warning, then opens the page regardless of the 'windows cannot find....'  message)
Component: General → Startup and Profile System
QA Contact: general → startup

Comment 2

12 years ago
I now find that the problem occurs both with shortcuts created by dragging the URL to the desktop as well as when the shortcut is created using deskCut.(nb it is happening so often that I have now turned off the 'critical stop' sound!)
Julie: can you check if firefox is Firefox is set to default (Tools -> Options -> System Default -> Check now)

If Firefox is not set as default browser, can you set Firefox as Default and try again ?
Component: Startup and Profile System → OS Integration
QA Contact: startup → os.integration
Version: unspecified → 2.0 Branch
(Reporter)

Comment 4

12 years ago
I have just set Firefox as the default browser and the result is still the same.
Unfortunately I downloaded both the Windows and Firefox updates at the same time so I am not sure which one has created this problem. I think I'll roll back as this warning box is becoming a major distraction.

Comment 5

12 years ago
I have checked, and Firefox is selected as default.I have just turned the computer on for the day and the fault does not appear on all of my shortcuts.  I have a feeling that after a day's operation the fault is more widespread. Re Gerry's comment I did not download the Windows and Firefox updates at the same time.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

12 years ago
Not sure what has happened but after doing a system restore to before the installs and then re-installing the Windows update followed by Firefox the error has gone.

Could it have been a faulty download first time around? Worth checking Julie it has worked for me.

Comment 7

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #6)
> Not sure what has happened but after doing a system restore to before the
> installs and then re-installing the Windows update followed by Firefox the
> error has gone.
> 
> Could it have been a faulty download first time around? Worth checking Julie it
> has worked for me.
> 
I was seeing the same error message - googled the "Windows cannot find 'Http'" and found reference to an earlier Bug (137363)

Recommendation for work around was to delete registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTP\shell\open\ddeexec

I tried it & it solved the problem . . .

Comment 8

12 years ago
I have now seen this problem on three (3) different computers - one laptop & two desktops . . .

the registry key deletion has worked for all three

Comment 9

12 years ago
Unfortunetly this didn't help me .. I still get the same error.

(In reply to comment #7)
>
> I was seeing the same error message - googled the "Windows cannot find 'Http'"
> and found reference to an earlier Bug (137363)
> 
> Recommendation for work around was to delete registry key:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTP\shell\open\ddeexec
> 
> I tried it & it solved the problem . . .
> 

Comment 10

12 years ago
I have used the registry key deletion and solved the problem. Thanks Mike (and Mozilla for providing the Bugzilla forum of excellence)

Comment 11

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #10)
Glad it worked for you!!

Doug - any progress w/ your problem?

Comment 12

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #11)

Nope ... I deleted the registry key, switched it over to Firefox and had the problem.  Switch it back to IE and the problem goes away.

Comment 13

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #12)
For what it's worth - I made the registry key deletion while firefox was set as the default browser - did NOT switch back and forth between IE and firefox - the problem went away w/o any other changes.  I have not tried switching back & forth between the two browsers to see if the problem returns . . .

Mike

Comment 14

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #13)
\

Comment 15

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #13)

That's what I did .. I made Firefox the default browser, deleted the registry key.  Shutdown Firefox

Type www.google.com in the run box and got the same error.

Comment 16

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #15)
Hmmm . . .

Well - just for grins I did the following:

1.  opened IE and set it to be my default browser
2.  closed IE 
3.  Link I have on desktop changed from firefox to IE icon (as expected)
4.  opened firefox
5.  set firefox to be my default browser
6.  closed firefox
7.  Link on deskto changed back to firefox icon (as expected)
8.  Double-clicked on the icon - THE ERROR WINDOW HAS RETURNED
9.  Used regedit to delete the key (the entire key BTW not just the keys beneath it)
10. double-clicked on the icon - THE ERROR WINDOW IS GONE

for me - the error is reproducible as well as the fix - sorry if it doesn't work for you :-(

Mike

Comment 17

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #16)

Did the same things but the error didn't go away.  If fact, it was worse as FF tried to open www.www.google.com  (i.e. it tried to put an extra www. in front

Comment 18

12 years ago
(In reply to comment #17)
sorry . . .

If you find a fix - please let me know - I'm always interested in new tips/tricks

Mike Goff
Maryland Department of Agriculture
IT Services(In reply to comment #17)
> (In reply to comment #16)
> 
> Did the same things but the error didn't go away.  If fact, it was worse as FF
> tried to open www.www.google.com  (i.e. it tried to put an extra www. in front
> 

Comment 19

12 years ago
Oh no its back again! 24 hours ago I downloaded the new release of Firefox and tonight I find that the bug has returned.

Comment 20

11 years ago
Sorry I didn't get back sooner . . .

Yup - It happened to me as well.  However, deleting the same registry key (it was re-created w/ the update) fixed it once again for me!

Mike

(In reply to comment #19)
> Oh no its back again! 24 hours ago I downloaded the new release of Firefox and
> tonight I find that the bug has returned.
> 

Comment 21

11 years ago
(In reply to comment #1)
> I use the 'deskCut' addon to create 'shortcuts' to the desktop Could this be
> why I also have this problem?
> (nb my system gives a 'critical stop' warning, then opens the page regardless
> of the 'windows cannot find....'  message)
> 
I do not use any type of program to create my shortcuts, and I still get this same error message, with the same result. Possibly a collision with the Windows update?
I'm getting this too in 2.0.0.3.  Deleting the registry key in comment #7 seems to have fixed the problem for now.

Comment 23

11 years ago
I recently came across the following description and fix for this problem here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_error_opening_Internet_shortcut_or_local_HTML_file_-_Firefox

I followed the instructions for fixing the probem in the "File Types edit" section of this note and I think have finally squashed this bug for good.  The article DOES suggest that you may have to repeat this process after Firefox is updated.

Mike Goff

Comment 24

11 years ago
Thanks for the tip Mike. I have applied all changes, except item 6 in the first group of registry edits
(Repeat for "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\shell\open\ddeexec") 
The ddeexec entry was not there.
Only yesterday I had kissed Firefox goodbye as I was so tired of the 'critical stops' Its back up and running normally now - hopefully this is a permanent fix.

Comment 25

11 years ago
Yesterday's May 30 update from FireFox 2.0.0.3 to 2.0.0.4 caused this problem to reappear on my computer.  Applying the fix mentioned by Mike above fixed it again.

Comment 26

11 years ago
(In reply to comment #24)
Julie -

FYI I was automatically upgraded w/ the latest security update & the problem re-surfaced - I had to go through the process again to clean it up . . .

I hope this gets fixed soon!!!

Mike

> Thanks for the tip Mike. I have applied all changes, except item 6 in the first
> group of registry edits
> (Repeat for "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\shell\open\ddeexec") 
> The ddeexec entry was not there.
> Only yesterday I had kissed Firefox goodbye as I was so tired of the 'critical
> stops' Its back up and running normally now - hopefully this is a permanent
> fix.
> 

Duplicate of this bug: 383081
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 11 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 359630

Updated

11 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.