User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20070713 Firefox/220.127.116.11 Build Identifier: 18.104.22.168 After sending a message Thunderbird tries to copy it to the sent folder on the IMAP server, but it just sits there until I hit cancel. I checked the logs on the mail server and it looks like it tries to create a new sent folder, but one already exists (and Thunderbird should know this b/c it's subscribed to it). 22.214.171.124 [1B7C] 14:00:57 <<< DONE 126.96.36.199 [1B7C] 14:00:57 >>> 20 OK IDLE terminated 188.8.131.52 [1B7C] 14:00:57 <<< 21 list "" "Sent" 184.108.40.206 [1B7C] 14:00:57 >>> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "sent" 220.127.116.11 [1B7C] 14:00:57 <<< 22 create "Sent" 18.104.22.168 [1B7C] 14:00:57 >>> 22 NO CREATE Mailbox already exists 22.214.171.124 [1B7C] 14:00:57 <<< 23 IDLE 126.96.36.199 [1B7C] 14:00:57 >>> + idling It seems like this bug has been around for a long time (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=218625), but I couldn't find a current bug report for it. It only happens some times, but once it starts happening it will keep happening for several hours (even if I close/reopen Thunderbird or restart the mail server). I haven't noticed any kind of pattern. I'm using a Merak mail server. Reproducible: Sometimes Steps to Reproduce: 1. Try to send mail Actual Results: Message will be sent successfully. TB will try to copy message to sent folder, doesn't detect that one exists so tries to create new one, but one already exists so it just sits there at the 'trying to copy' dialog forever Expected Results: Message should be copied to existing sent folder.
Thanks for reading Bug 206408 Comment #263. Looks to be main remaining problem in phenomena of Bug 206408 (IDLE around trying to append to Sent folder). Was high CPU usage observed when problem occurred? (Loop problem is involved?) It looks that Tb just stops operation of "copy to Sent" and panel of progress meter is kept forever.
Assignee: nobody → bienvenu
Component: General → Networking: IMAP
Product: Thunderbird → Core
QA Contact: general → networking.imap
Version: unspecified → 1.8 Branch
Phenomenon seems to depend on when IDLE is sent and when response of IDLE returned. See Bug 392547(response to IDLE just before start of copy to Sent, then logout). Attach the log file to this bug, please. (text/plain if size is accepted. never paste in bug) And "when"(and sequence) is Thunderbird view, not IMAP server view. Get IMAP protocol log of Thunderbird please, and when log for the problem is obtained, attach the NSPR log file to this bug (text/plain if size is accepted. never paste, please). http://kb.mozillazine.org/Session_logging_for_mail/news http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews/mail-troubleshoot.html#imap http://www.mozilla.org/projects/netlib/http/http-debugging.html "SET NSPR_LOG_MODULES=imap:5,smtp:5" is sufficient for initial analysis.
I could be wrong, but this looks like a question of the case of the "Sent" folder - the server has a lower case "sent" folder, but we try to create a "Sent" folder. My guess is we created a "Sent" folder and the server actually created "sent". This is in violation of the RFC, afaik - folder names are case sensitive, except for the INBOX, which is case-insensitive. You could go into the config editor and search for prefs with "Sent", and edit the fcc folder value with "Sent" to "sent", e.g., the pref will look something like imap://firstname.lastname@example.org/Sent you want to edit it to refer to "sent". Or, you could use the account settings UI and pick other folder, and pick the "sent" folder from the list.
If my diagnosis is right, the root problem isn't a client bug per se, since we're creating Sent, but the server is returning sent.
No high CPU usage. It also doesn't copy drafts to the drafts folder. I edited prefs.js and changed 'Sent' to 'sent', 'Drafts' to 'drafts' but the problem still exists.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Version: 1.8 Branch → unspecified
I found this same problem when migrating from Thunderbird 2 to Thunderbird 3. The work around is to go the Edit->Account Settings->Copies & Folders and uncheck the Place a copy in Sent messages, and check Custom and select the same folder that way.
yup, common workaround and similar situations. thanks for mention it
Whiteboard: [workaround comment 6]
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.