I have added the ability to add updateHash for sha256 to update.rdf in my mccoy extension. That bit works, but the resulting update.rdf is not usable, by firefox. https://fireclipse.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fireclipse/trunk/FireclipseExtensions/chromebug/mccoy
I'm not sure where Comment #1 came from, but the extension to mccoy works and the update.rdf is usable by Firefox now. The xpis from http://getfirebug.com/releases use my extension. I suspect the extension will only work for simple update.rdf files.
The xpis from zindus.com also use this extension: http://www.zindus.com/download-extension/ I found the tricky bit was getting the file:// urls given on the command-line right. Here is an example command line that signs and adds <updateHash> to update.rdf under cygwin: mccoy.exe \ -sign file:///c:/cygwin/home/leni/wrk/xpi/update.rdf \ -key mccoy-xpi-updatekey \ -addOnFileName file:///c:/cygwin/home/leni/wrk/xpi/zindus-0.7.6-tb.xpi Notes for if you have problems: - the file:// url for update.rdf given on the command line is passed to: nsIRDFRemoteDataSource::GetDataSourceBlocking() - this rdf tutorial notes that GetDataSourceBlocking requires absolute (not relative) URLs: http://www.xulplanet.com/tutorials/mozsdk/rdfsrcdetails.php - you may find the error checking in the current release thin and the failure mode not enormously helpful when the file:// url isn't 100% correct. - but mccoy is a XULrunner application, so it's easily debugged, http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Debugging_a_XULRunner_Application#Console