Initial window resize visible for me (hack/fix supplied)

RESOLVED FIXED

Status

--
minor
RESOLVED FIXED
11 years ago
11 years ago

People

(Reporter: dav7, Assigned: mfinkle)

Tracking

Details

(Reporter)

Description

11 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9b4) Gecko/2008030318 Firefox/3.0b4
Build Identifier: Prism 0.9

I have a somewhat graphically challenged PC so window movements can sometimes be slower and more apparent on here than elsewhere (it isn't THAT bad, I just like xcompmgr :P). I just downloaded Prism and poked and played with it, and the first thing I noticed was that the window intialized to a "starting width/height" (which I knew to be 750x550 from poking around at the source while figuring out how to remove the statusbar) then the window would resize to the height in the web app's copy of localstore.json.

'I wonder if I set the initial width/height in webrunner.xul to "" if it'll fix it,' I thought. So I tried it, re-zipped the .jar back up, restarted Prism and BOOM no more "initial resize!"

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Find a PC with integrated graphics and start xcompmgr, Compiz Fusion etc on it. Start a few other display-intensive applications (OpenGL recommended) to further enhance the effect if desired/needed. Using a screen capable of "gigantic" resolutions may also help (because larger = more work for the graphics card = slower = the effect lasts longer = more visible).
2. Create a new web app to whatever url (even about:blank would work), start it, resize the window (the larger the better) and close the app. Reopen it.
Actual Results:  
Your eyes will need to be quick, but observe how a 700x550 window is created then a fraction of a second later is resized to the dimensions you sized the window before closing it.

Expected Results:  
The window should not have resized, it should either be created at the resolution required or some action should be performed in the code so that the window is not initially resized to 700x550.

I was personally able to fix this by simply replacing the following in chrome/webrunner.xul (which is compressed into webrunner.jar and is in the content/ folder inside the ZIP file):

BEFORE:
<window xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"
        id="webrunner"
        windowtype="webrunner"
        title="&app.title;"
        width="700" height="550"
        screenX="10" screenY="10">

AFTER:<window xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"
        id="webrunner"
        windowtype="webrunner"
        title="&app.title;"
        width="" height=""
        screenX="10" screenY="10">


I don't know what's happening behind the scenes - the errors are probably flying, but this WORKSFORME, so I'm happy. :D
(Reporter)

Updated

11 years ago
Summary: Initial window resize more apparent than it should be (hack/fix supplied) → Initial window resize visible for me (hack/fix supplied)
(Assignee)

Comment 1

11 years ago
Actually, this does minimize the "size flashing" for me as well. It's a trivial change too and doesn't effect the default prism launch showing the install dialog.

r=mfinkle :)
Status: UNCONFIRMED → ASSIGNED
Ever confirmed: true
(Assignee)

Updated

11 years ago
Assignee: nobody → mark.finkle
Status: ASSIGNED → NEW
(Assignee)

Updated

11 years ago
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 11 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.