Closed Bug 431553 Opened 13 years ago Closed 12 years ago
Resolve load issues with dynamic generation of software update feeds
I'm going to undo the .htaccess change to point swupdate to the static file today to see how we fare, but we need to not melt when releasing 1.6.1 in a week or so.
Among things to investigate: * Caching the PHP-generated pages once they're generated * Having the script (or a script) generate a series of static feed files There's clearly still some sort of issue; for instance, tonight every other try I get an Error 500 when hitting the update URL.
We're back to serving the static update file now.
(In reply to comment #2) > We're back to serving the static update file now. At my request. We're getting hit quite a bit and switching to the dynamic file seemed to make things worse. I spent some time on this today and we appear to be good. Before the changes made (with help from aravind), we were hitting server xmemory limits within 10 minutes of an apache restart, sometimes 20. Hitting those memory limits caused the site to be slow to respond. That's no longer the case, from what I can tell. I'll continue monitoring for a day or so, but I think we're in the clear. Before we put back the dynamic file, I've requested a few more changes to be made. There are a few services being run on the machine that aren't used by us at all. I've asked for them to be turned off and disabled to free up more memory. During the "discovery" phase, I also noticed that we have no swap allocated to the machine. Having swap would likely help our situation, so hopefully we can add that as well.
Do we want to think about switching to once-per-release script generation of static files and htaccess rules?
(In reply to comment #4) > Do we want to think about switching to once-per-release script generation of > static files and htaccess rules? I would definitely prefer that at this point, but I'd like to try our current script first. If there's no need to make the change, we shouldn't do it. (fwiw, someone pointed me at http://www.randomsequence.com/articles/php-rss-appcast-generator/ though I'm not sure it does everything we need.)
Managing Sam's life ;)
Priority: -- → P1
Re-summarizing this to reflect what the "real" issue is here, since managing an additional set of ~20 files (in the webroot, no less!) is not fun and we do want to stop doing it at some point.
Priority: P1 → P2
Summary: Figure out load issues in advance of 1.6.1 → Resolve load issues with dynamic generation of software update feeds
13 years ago
The updated script is live, so we can run a test whenever Sam's free to monitor the server.
1.6.7's several weeks old now, so resolving. (Knock on wood.)
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.