Closed Bug 433595 Opened 12 years ago Closed 11 years ago

Mothball dm-pageload01?

Categories

(mozilla.org Graveyard :: Server Operations, task, P3)

x86
Linux

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: aravind, Unassigned)

References

()

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

Afaik almost all of the build/perf test machines are using a server hosted on the local machines for the page load tests.  Would it make sense to de-commission this machine?

Afaik, the only boxes still using this machine are

cb-xserve01
cb-sea-win32-tbox
cb-sea-linux-tbox and
bm-xserve05

If its a huge deal to de-commission this box, I will need some downtime on it to upgrade it to rhel5 and some build resources to make sure it works correctly with rhel5.
Not sure why bm-xserve05, the mac builder for Firefox 2.0.0.x nightlies, is still using running Tinderbox tests. Talos is covering that now.
(In reply to comment #1)
> Not sure why bm-xserve05, the mac builder for Firefox 2.0.0.x nightlies, is
> still using running Tinderbox tests. Talos is covering that now.
Good question. I'll take this and poke around a little.


Who should I talk to about the 3 community boxes?
Assignee: nobody → joduinn
Summary: Decommission dm-pageload01? → Mothball dm-pageload01?
(In reply to comment #2)
> Who should I talk to about the 3 community boxes?

Kairo: can you look at cb-sea-win32-tbox and cb-sea-linux-tbox?

Kairo/ause/mark: who's using bm-xserve01?
What are you expecting the community boxes to do? They need a pageload server until they swap to Talos...
(In reply to comment #3)
> Kairo/ause/mark: who's using bm-xserve01?

bm-* machines are typically Firefox/Thunderbird machines. Community machines almost all start with cb-*. http://wiki.mozilla.org/Build:Farm indicates this machine isn't in use.

In case you meant cb-xserve01... as mentioned in an email to build@ on Tue, May 13, 2008 at 8:28 PM PDT, this machine is a Camino machine. However, Mark already replied on Tue, May 13, 2008 at 8:51 PM PDT that cb-xserve01 doesn't run pageload tests. Did you receive those emails?
Found while cleaning out bugmail.

(In reply to comment #5)
> (In reply to comment #3)
> > Kairo/ause/mark: who's using bm-xserve01?
> bm-* machines are typically Firefox/Thunderbird machines. Community machines
> almost all start with cb-*. http://wiki.mozilla.org/Build:Farm indicates this
> machine isn't in use.
Yep, we've already powered bm-xserve01 down, and filed bug#461228 to reimage it.


> In case you meant cb-xserve01... as mentioned in an email to build@ on Tue, May
> 13, 2008 at 8:28 PM PDT, this machine is a Camino machine. However, Mark
> already replied on Tue, May 13, 2008 at 8:51 PM PDT that cb-xserve01 doesn't
> run pageload tests. Did you receive those emails?
Sam: Cant find that email now, maybe gone into the Great Bit Recycler (tm). However thanks for confirming that cb-xserve01 doesnt use dm-pageload01.


Mark: after all the back-and-forth, and confusion of names, can you clarify: Do your cb-sea* machines use dm-pageload01?
(In reply to comment #6)
> (In reply to comment #5)
> > (In reply to comment #3)

> Mark: after all the back-and-forth, and confusion of names, can you clarify: Do
> your cb-sea* machines use dm-pageload01?

err...gentle ping... anyone using dm-pageload01 or can I turn it off?
(In reply to comment #7)
> (In reply to comment #6)
> > (In reply to comment #5)
> > > (In reply to comment #3)
> 
> > Mark: after all the back-and-forth, and confusion of names, can you clarify: Do
> > your cb-sea* machines use dm-pageload01?
> 
> err...gentle ping... anyone using dm-pageload01 or can I turn it off?

No response, so I'll plan on turning this off. I'll next posting notice in newsgroups.

Meanwhile, is there anything on this machine that needs to be backed up, or can we just wipe it?
(In reply to comment #8)
> No response, so I'll plan on turning this off. I'll next posting notice in
> newsgroups.

[root@dm-pageload01 ~]# awk '{ print $1; }' /var/log/httpd/access_log | sort | uniq
10.2.71.61
10.2.74.123
[root@dm-pageload01 ~]# host 10.2.71.61
61.71.2.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer bm-xserve05.build.mozilla.org.
[root@dm-pageload01 ~]# host 10.2.74.123
123.74.2.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer mradm01.mozilla.org.

So, only bm-xserve05 is using it right now. mradm01 is just doing the nagios check.

> Meanwhile, is there anything on this machine that needs to be backed up, or can
> we just wipe it?

Yes, we should back up the pageload data and scripts, as I don't know if they are all checked-in somewhere. Other than that, can't think of anything else.
Posted to newsgroups.

Reed: thanks for that data. I don't know why bm-xserve05 would use dm-pageload01, but I'll investigate.
The Firefox depend/nightly builds on bm-xserve05 still run the old-school tinderbox-tests. You'd want to flip this boolean
 http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsblame.cgi?file=mozilla/tools/tinderbox-configs/firefox/macosx/tinder-config.pl&rev=1.8.4.26#60
to disable them. That's the config on the MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH.
Nthomas: let me know if there's something else I should do also?
Attachment #372178 - Flags: review?(nthomas)
Attachment #372178 - Flags: review?(nthomas) → review+
Comment on attachment 372178 [details] [diff] [review]
have bm-xserve05 stop using dm-pageload01

Checked in:
new revision: 1.8.4.27; previous revision: 1.8.4.26

Next build will pick this up automatically.
Attachment #372178 - Flags: checked‑in+
(sorry for last typo)


Anything left to do here or can I now power off dm-pageload01?
(In reply to comment #15)
> (sorry for last typo)
> 
> 
> Anything left to do here or can I now power off dm-pageload01?

Aravind, can you power this off? We believe  we're all done with this machine but I dont have login details to do shutdown. 

We've like to leave it powered off, and untouched, for a couple of weeks before recycling, just in case someone was using it and not following this bug.
Assignee: joduinn → server-ops
Component: Release Engineering → Server Operations
QA Contact: release → mrz
(In reply to comment #16)
> (In reply to comment #15)
> > (sorry for last typo)
> > 
> > 
> > Anything left to do here or can I now power off dm-pageload01?
> 
> Aravind, can you power this off? We believe  we're all done with this machine
> but I dont have login details to do shutdown. 

It's off.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 11 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Product: mozilla.org → mozilla.org Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.