right now it is 1mb. We will increase it to 4mb because loads "feel" snappier. We should investigate and get real values here.
this will be a lot easier to test once we get things like talos and whatnot running fully
9 years ago
Is this still a problem or can we close this as WORKSFORME?
we can't close this -- we still don't have automated tools available to help automate finding the right set of numbers.
Stuart - how do you want to proceed with this? We have Talos up and running now right?
yeah. I'd suggest us doing a binary search through different disk cache numbers until we find something we're mostly happy with. Maybe start with 10mb as an upper bound? We should take in to account that many people don't have a lot of room on their main partition on an n810...
um. the n810 has two partitions and you should really consider using the non root partition for cache. if the user plugs in usb, they're probably not browsing, and a degraded experience is probably best. the reason we didn't manage to do this for microb is not really technical. we were just distracted. i'd suggest trying numbers closer to 50mb
* What prefs are we talking about here? * How do we control the partition used for the cache? Here are some current prefs: /* cache prefs */ pref("browser.cache.disk.enable", false); pref("browser.cache.disk.capacity", 0); pref("browser.cache.memory.enable", true); pref("browser.cache.memory.capacity", 1024); /* http prefs */ pref("network.http.pipelining", true); pref("network.http.pipelining.ssl", true); pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true); pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" , 6); pref("network.http.keep-alive.timeout", 600); pref("network.http.max-connections", 6); pref("network.http.max-connections-per-server", 4); pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server", 4); pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy", 4); /* session history */ pref("browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers", 0); pref("browser.sessionhistory.max_entries", 50);
Created attachment 380827 [details] [diff] [review] patch (10MB setting) try 10MB and use the /media/mmc2 partition
Comment on attachment 380827 [details] [diff] [review] patch (10MB setting) please don't add the extra blank line before http prefs :)
Created attachment 386138 [details] [diff] [review] patch 2 (more caches) This patch adds smaller settings for: * image.cache.size (1MB instead of 5MB) bug 487061 * offline.cache.capacity (5MB instead of 500MB) bug 472341 * moves offline cache to mmc2 on maemo, like the first patch did for the disk.cache
Created attachment 386283 [details] [diff] [review] patch 3 This patch is the same as the previous, but is a bit more explicit for disk.cache on windows mobile. We don't need to turn off disk.cache for desktop, only winmo
missed a semi-colon in the pref file, which breaks things (silently): https://hg.mozilla.org/mobile-browser/rev/fcbe40a7894d
these seem to allow for good browsing in beta3. We still need to figure out how to not crash or lock up without swap enabled though