Apprunner takes way too long to launch on my win95 P133 with 80Mb RAM. At least a minute. Very painful. This is not just the very first time a run a new build. There is not a whole lot of disk activity going on, so it doesn't seem to be re-registering the dll's or anything like that. Nobody else has reported this. I would like to understand more about what happens during launch to figure out why this is happening.
note: it takes viewer about 7 seconds to launch, about 10-15 times as fast.
It looks like installing java is the culprit. Without java installed I launch in about 25 seconds. With java installed it takes over a minute to launch. CC'ing alex to see if he knows why this is happening. Note: this happens both on my machine at home and at work.
Yes. You need to turn off Java. Initial Launch and re-launch times will be included in PageLoadMetrics starting with 04/23 report. Let's see how we look after that report. But paulmac, I think this is a lot faster with M4 build. NO?
In order to hook up LiveConnect, we need to load Java at startup, which means loading plugins at startup. The plugins do get unloaded, but it takes time. I'll look into delaying this action until we need it. Maybe Patrick can also chime in here on delaying the init of LC since he hooked it up.
in response to Jan's question, no, I haven't noticed any speed up in M4 builds. Still takes up to two minutes to launch, and about 30 seconds if I rename my Communicator plugins directory so seamonkey can't find it.
paulmac, how ya feeling about launch time recently?
I would say it has gotten worse. It takes me on average about 2 minutes to start up on my P133 at work. This includes loading sidebar and the default smoketest home page, although loading the smoketest page separately only take 15-20 seconds. This is also with no Communicator Plug-ins directory present.
M7 will be the push for performance and we are doing extra tests with Viewer too. Moving this bug to M7.
Putting on [Perf] radar
I've figured out an interesting way to improve start-up performance on my win95 machine. It seems to cut my start-up time from about 1:30 to :30. Normally on my machine there is about a one minute hang after the initial browser window is drawn. However, if I, just after the browser window is drawn, click on the apprunner MSDOS window in the windows taskbar to put focus back in the console, there is virtually no delay and the start-up page is loaded pretty quickly. This is 100% reproducible. Anyone have any ideas?
I tried clicking on the apprunner ms-dos prompt on my machine and the startup time is identical. Maybe your graphics card is older and your drivers dont support clipping well or something. Strange.
Interesting enough, the minute delay happens on 6/7 builds but not 6/8 builds. The only noticeable difference is that talkback is broken in 6/8 builds. Hmmmm.
Delay is back on 6/9 builds. However, running apprunner.exe >nul from the command line, as opposed to apprunner.exe from an icon on the desktop, decreases start-up time (on my work machine, P133) from 2:15 to :45. Jim is so smart.
This is due to all of the printf's being used instead of PR_Log calls. This will have to fixed for M8 and over a period of time.
marking this bug fixed, most of the remaining start-up issues are covered in other bugs
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 19 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.