Closed Bug 493442 Opened 13 years ago Closed 13 years ago

Weave isn't syncing bookmarks (or anything) other than clients, despite engines being enabled

Categories

(Firefox :: Sync, defect)

x86
All
defect
Not set
major

Tracking

()

VERIFIED FIXED

People

(Reporter: dw, Assigned: hello)

References

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-GB; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090401 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Shiretoko/3.5b4pre
Build Identifier: 

Thread here: http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla-labs-weave/browse_thread/thread/c464fea0ac14d447

Only 2 working clients at the moment - Vista running 3.5b4 and Ubuntu
running 3.5b4pre.

The Vista box is syncing fine (odd Undefined item in
tabContainer.childNodes but that's another thread), but the Ubuntu one
is only logging sync attempts in the log for the Clients engine.
Bookmarks (for example) is enabled in prefs and set to true in
about:config, but Weave doesn't even attempt a sync (see log attached).

The boomkarks engine has never been disabled, but I have toggled it and restarted a few times in an attempt to jump start it but without success.



Reproducible: Always
Attached file Sync log
Attachment #377921 - Attachment mime type: text/x-log → text/plain
I'm observing the same issue using Firefox 3.5 beta builds from https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa and Weave 0.3.2.


WinXP clients (with Firefox 3.5b4 and Weave 0.3.2) are working without problems
I think I've found the root cause. 

Take a look at _registerEngines method:
http://hg.mozilla.org/labs/weave/file/befd9af4df5d/modules/service.js#l397

It expects "Firefox" to be returned by Svc.AppInfo.name. But in my case the value returned by Svc.AppInfo.name is equal to "Firefox-3.5". So no engines are registered.

I've changed "Firefox" to "Firefox-3.5" and after restart all working fine.

I don't know whether it Weave bug or just wrongly packaged Firefox.
Good work, Mikhail.  I would not have guessed to look at the app name!

I'm pretty sure the app name should be "Firefox", not "Firefox-3.5".  There are separate getters to for the app version.  So this would seem to be a packaging bug with the Ubuntu packages.

Keeping this bug open until I confirm tomorrow.
That value is initialized from application.ini (/usr/lib/firefox-3.5b5pre/application.ini)

[App]
Name=Firefox-3.5
I can confirm changing the name field in application.ini to just 'Firefox' solves the problem - nice find!

Are you going to report the bug on Launchpad Mikhail, or would you like me to do it?
(In reply to comment #6)
> I can confirm changing the name field in application.ini to just 'Firefox'
> solves the problem - nice find!
> 
> Are you going to report the bug on Launchpad Mikhail, or would you like me to
> do it?

Go ahead.
(In reply to comment #6)
BTW, it would be great to know launchpad bug # to track the issue. Could you please let me know its number after submitting? Thanks.
Just talked to rstrong about this, he is of the opinion that Weave should not rely on the name, but use the ID instead.

I agree with him, my only remaining question is whether the bug you filed on ubuntu is valid or not (whether they should leave the name alone or not).

For the purposes of this bug, though, using the ID will fix the problem.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Fixes problem in Weave:

http://hg.mozilla.org/labs/weave/rev/4f3fcc54fef6
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 13 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Component: Weave → General
Product: Mozilla Labs → Weave
Target Milestone: -- → ---
Component: Weave → General
Product: Mozilla Labs → Weave
Target Milestone: -- → ---
QA Contact: weave → general
Assignee: nobody → thunder
Component: General → Sync
QA Contact: general → sync
Target Milestone: --- → 0.4
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Flags: in-litmus+
Component: Firefox Sync: Backend → Sync
Product: Cloud Services → Firefox
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.