** Checked with 5/3/99 Win32 M5 candidate build ** Now that we can see the Japanese text body sent from 5.0 (due to the fix in Bug 5525), we can see what happens to a Japanese text which is copy/pasted in as opposed to input via JPN IME. Such text would not show as Japanese on the mail text composer window -- actually looks like Shift_JIS text displayed with Latin 1 encoding. When such text is sent out, it goes out in Shift_JIS and generally get Base 64-encoded by servers such as Netscape 4.01. In any case, we need to correct this so that 1) copy/pasting works in Japanese into the mail text body and 2) no Shift_JIS mail goes out. Perhaps these are due to some known bug, but I'm filing it anyway to see if such a bug exists.
As email@example.com mentioned in his comment, the pasted text is just looks like Shift_JIS but acutally not. So bug 2) is invalid and I changed the title. Reassign to firstname.lastname@example.org
Akkana is the new owner of the clipboard/xif/document encoding work so I changed ownership to her. [I did add my new e-mail address to the CC list though :)]
Actually, Bugzilla wouldn't accept my change for the CC field, but leaf assures me that when I get my new account all references to my old e-mail address will be updated with my new address.
Somehow the status on all of these got set back to New; re-accepting them.
Move XIF/I18n bugs to M9; they're dependant on stubs which I18n is trying to get in for M8.
This looks like a dup of 8427. *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 8427 ***
OK. I'll keep track of this bug via Bug 8427. Marking verified as duplicate.