It would be nice to be able to use your addon's old id when you convert it to a Jetpack SDK-based extension. Otherwise you can't upload the Jetpack-based version to AMO as the same extension and can't update your users.
We should consider blocking the first beta on this. Along with empowering webdevs and other people new to add-on development, another Jetpack goal has always been to be so compelling as to give current add-on devs a reason to switch to it, and this bug hinders that.
The Add-on SDK is no longer a Mozilla Labs experiment and has become a big enough project to warrant its own Bugzilla product, so the "Add-on SDK" product has been created for it, and I am moving its bugs to that product. To filter bugmail related to this change, filter on the word "looptid".
(In reply to comment #1) > We should consider blocking the first beta on this. Along with empowering > webdevs and other people new to add-on development, another Jetpack goal has > always been to be so compelling as to give current add-on devs a reason to > switch to it, and this bug hinders that. Either this bug or bug 412819
Myk, Dietrich, what do you think about making this a beta blocker? I'm less convinced than when I wrote comment 1, because based on the mailing list, it seems most Jetpack users are new to extension development, and we haven't really tried to persuade current devs to abandon their existing code and start over.
In my ideal world I think it'd be useful to fix this, not only do we want to make it easy for developers to switch between normal add-ons and Jetpack based ones but having a descriptive ID make the lives of those identifying the extensions installed in a profile a lot simpler. That said, bug 412819 is something we've really wanted for a while anyway and based on my understanding of the SDK it will be hard to fix it your end so I've elevated bug 412819 to a Firefox 4 blocker
In the meantime, we decided today to block the Add-on SDK on making it possible to use an existing ID. Let's tackle the problem from both ends!
Created attachment 493547 [details] [diff] [review] pull request v1: implements feature Here's a fix that allows addons to use old-style IDs. As part of this fix, I also added a test for anonymous IDs, which didn't have one. And I removed jid_to_programid, which is called only once, and programid_to_jid, which is never called, as that seemed both a simplification and safer, now that a "jid" can theoretically also represent an old-style ID.
Comment on attachment 493547 [details] [diff] [review] pull request v1: implements feature looks good to me, and manual tests look fine