Closed Bug 634504 Opened 9 years ago Closed 9 years ago

about:home Info Box can be clicked but doesn't go to specified link

Categories

(Firefox :: General, defect)

defect
Not set

Tracking

()

VERIFIED FIXED

People

(Reporter: cab26715, Assigned: lorchard)

References

()

Details

(Whiteboard: [about-home])

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b12pre) Gecko/20110215 Firefox/4.0b12pre
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b12pre) Gecko/20110215 Firefox/4.0b12pre

The Info Box on the "about:home" page is formatted as a button and can be clicked but doesn't go anywhere when doing so.  You have to line up your mouse cursor on the HTML link to do anything.

Reproducible: Always
OS: Windows 7 → All
Hardware: x86_64 → All
Version: unspecified → Trunk
I think the current snippets are not invoking activateSnippetsButtonClick()?
Whiteboard: [about-home]
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
assigning to lorchard since I think it's a problem of the remote snippets, but feel free to bounce it back if it's not so.
Assignee: nobody → lorchard
(In reply to comment #1)
> I think the current snippets are not invoking activateSnippetsButtonClick()?

I thought that function didn't have to be invoked?
(In reply to comment #3)
> (In reply to comment #1)
> > I think the current snippets are not invoking activateSnippetsButtonClick()?
> 
> I thought that function didn't have to be invoked?

More specifically, I thought the clickable button functionality wasn't enabled unless that function was called. There will be snippets (including these) that aren't intended to be one big button
(In reply to comment #4)
> (In reply to comment #3)
> > (In reply to comment #1)
> > > I think the current snippets are not invoking activateSnippetsButtonClick()?
> > 
> > I thought that function didn't have to be invoked?
> 
> More specifically, I thought the clickable button functionality wasn't enabled
> unless that function was called. There will be snippets (including these) that
> aren't intended to be one big button

indeed you are right, but the snippets shown now ARE intended to be one big button (they have a single link), thus they should invoke that method. if some snippet doesn't have one single link it should not (but probably it should also restyle the button so that it doesn't appear as a button)
So that means I still have to do hacks in snippets to get around the default styling.
That's something will always happen, the styling is a button (in this case you only have to activate its click through the helper, eventually change background color of the button if needed), that works fine for the most common cases.

Future special cases (like videos and such) will require special styling, that's not new I think.
Future content will include survey forms and other interactive elements, and I think they'll actually be fairly common. They're not really special cases, per se.

Also, we're including multiple snippets in the same payload, with visibility chosen randomly in JS. That might be a mix of single-link snippets and more complex content.

So, I'm probably going to have to disable the button styling altogether in remote snippet content and then try restoring it for just the snippets for which it's appropriate
I think the idea was that most snippets are simple links (button like), some are special and those can workaround default styling.
If this is no more true and most snippets are special, a few are simple, looks like there was some communication problem.
Modified the current snippets on prod to call activateSnippetsButtonClick, so this should be fixed within the next 24 hrs as clients pull down new content.

Ideally, the button style should not be applied in about:home until / unless activateSnippetsButtonClick is called. In lieu of that, The button styling will need a hack-around in future snippet content to disable.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
(In reply to comment #10)
> Modified the current snippets on prod to call activateSnippetsButtonClick, so
> this should be fixed within the next 24 hrs as clients pull down new content.
> 
> Ideally, the button style should not be applied in about:home until / unless
> activateSnippetsButtonClick is called. In lieu of that, The button styling will
> need a hack-around in future snippet content to disable.

Wow!  That was fast, thanks!

I'll see how it works in tomorrow's build (Nightly).
Verified fixed after today's snippets update.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
(In reply to comment #12)
> Verified fixed after today's snippets update.

Sorry, I don't see it fixed.  Button can still be clicked and doesn't go anywhere as of 9:45 AM Eastern Time (USA).
Status: VERIFIED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
As far as I can tell, it's fixed on the server and is working on my browser. Firefox only checks this server for new content every 24 hours at least, so it might still be waiting to fetch new content for you. Possibly, if you didn't have a net connection at the time it checked again, it will wait another 24 hours.
(In reply to comment #14)
> As far as I can tell, it's fixed on the server and is working on my browser.
> Firefox only checks this server for new content every 24 hours at least, so it
> might still be waiting to fetch new content for you. Possibly, if you didn't
> have a net connection at the time it checked again, it will wait another 24
> hours.

Okay - makes sense.  So my browser still is still loading the old code.

Obviously, if you make a change on the Mozilla server, your internal testers will see the changes faster than the general population.

So, would you like me to change the status back to "Verified" or keep it as "Reopened" until I can see it works, since I am the one who reported the bug?
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Closed: 9 years ago9 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
it has been resolved by the owner and verified by me on the product.
please wait at least tomorrow before reopening so that you can be sure you have the last update.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
(In reply to comment #16)
> it has been resolved by the owner and verified by me on the product.
> please wait at least tomorrow before reopening so that you can be sure you have
> the last update.

I will do that.  I was not aware of how often the page grabs new content / code changes.
Status: VERIFIED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Closed: 9 years ago9 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
It is working correctly now.
(In reply to comment #18)
> It is working correctly now.

\o/ Thank you for checking again, and happy to hear it!
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.