Display of non-Latin 1 body is completely broken

VERIFIED FIXED in M6

Status

P1
blocker
VERIFIED FIXED
20 years ago
10 years ago

People

(Reporter: momoi, Assigned: nhottanscp)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows NT

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

20 years ago
** Observed with 5/18/99 Win32 build **
** The display was not broken with 5/17/99 Win 32 build **

I have messages sent from Messenger 4.6/4.51 and OE5/4 in about
11 languages. The thread pane headers and the view pane
headers display correctly but the body of these messages except
Latin 1 is not displaying correctly. It does not seem to be
using a correct font.

The display was working OK with yesterday's build.
The problem began with today's build.
This is a near complete regression from M6 and prevents us
from doing any credible international testing. And of course,
we can't ship M6 like this, either.
(Reporter)

Updated

20 years ago
Assignee: rhp → ftang
(Reporter)

Comment 1

20 years ago
ftang made a temporary code change disabling Meta tag recognition
for 1 day. This, according to ftang, is why Mail display is
failing (because the mail code relies on a meta tag as it generates
UTF-8 page.)
This would also affect browser display for pages with Meta tags.
Encoding menu is working, however.

Please mark it resolved when the new code is in.
(Reporter)

Updated

20 years ago
Product: MailNews → Browser
(Reporter)

Comment 2

20 years ago
Changed the Product to Browser.
(Reporter)

Comment 3

20 years ago
When this is fixed, we'll check on the mail side, teruko & blee,
please check on the browser side.

Updated

20 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Priority: P3 → P1
Target Milestone: M6

Comment 4

20 years ago
Set this to P1 M6

Updated

20 years ago
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 20 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED

Comment 5

20 years ago
Fixed and check in
(Reporter)

Updated

20 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Product: Browser → MailNews
(Reporter)

Comment 6

20 years ago
I'm re-opening this bug since ftang's fix has been backed out in
Bug 6780. Until Bug 6780 is fixed, we won't see non-ASCII body properly
unless the encoding is manually set to UTF-8.
I've switched back the Product to MailNews since that's where we
feel the primary effect though the problem should also be visible in
Browser.

Updated

20 years ago
Status: REOPENED → ASSIGNED
Whiteboard: Have temp fix in local tree, wait branch open to check in.

Comment 7

20 years ago
will check in tonight to both branch and tip

Comment 8

20 years ago
will check in to branch and tip tonight.

Updated

20 years ago
Whiteboard: Have temp fix in local tree, wait branch open to check in.

Updated

20 years ago
Whiteboard: Have temp fix in local tree, wait branch open to check in.

Updated

20 years ago
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 20 years ago20 years ago
Whiteboard: Have temp fix in local tree, wait branch open to check in.

Comment 9

20 years ago
The following file have been check in
files in tip:
mozilla/intl/chardet/src/nsMetaCharsetObserver.cpp 1.8
mozilla/layout/html/document/src/nsHTMLDocument.cpp 3.117
mozilla/htmlparser/src/nsParser.cpp 3.95

files in branch:
mozilla/intl/chardet/src/nsMetaCharsetObserver.cpp 1.7.4.1
mozilla/layout/html/document/src/nsHTMLDocument.cpp 3.116.4.1
mozilla/htmlparser/src/nsParser.cpp 3.94.4.1
(Reporter)

Comment 10

20 years ago
Frank, I looked at the tip build for today (5/25/99 M7 build)
and Mail body display is still broken. Naoki, the menu is working
if I switch the value to UTF-8 and try Japanese. I thought you said
that the menu will not be working as part of Frank's fix.
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
(Reporter)

Comment 11

20 years ago
I don't think there is a branch build (M6) yet today. The last one
was from yesterday evening around 5pm.

Updated

20 years ago
Assignee: ftang → nhotta
Status: REOPENED → NEW

Comment 12

20 years ago
reassign this to nhotta. There are some problem between the messanger and gecko.
Naoki, please take a look at decide weather this is a M6 stoper.
(Assignee)

Updated

20 years ago
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 20 years ago20 years ago
(Assignee)

Comment 13

20 years ago
According to Frank, the change was not included to Win32 build.
Let's wait for the next build and verify again.
(Reporter)

Updated

20 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
(Reporter)

Comment 14

20 years ago
There is display failure for both Message pane header and body for
non-UTF-8 non-ASCII message headers and body. This has been attributed to
Bug 6890.

We have another type of failure reported by Marina today for
the 5/26/ M7 build. That is the failure of body for Japanese
messages. I saw it happen a few times today (but not very often)
where the thread pane and message pane headers displayed OK but
not the body. I don't know if this due to Bug 6890 or this bug.

For me, this fix is working most of the time, and I'm inclined to
mark it verified resolved. We can re-open it or file a new bug
if further investigation reveals a new problem related to this one.

Mrking it verified fixed for now.
(Reporter)

Comment 15

20 years ago
The verification was done on 5/25/99 Win32 M6 build.
Product: MailNews → Core
Product: Core → MailNews Core
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.