Polish pages not working.

VERIFIED FIXED

Status

Websites
webifyme.org
--
critical
VERIFIED FIXED
7 years ago
7 years ago

People

(Reporter: Leszek Zyczkowski, Unassigned)

Tracking

Details

(Reporter)

Description

7 years ago
As in the summary.
Please submit a proper bug report explaining what the issue is.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
(Reporter)

Comment 2

7 years ago
Just try open https://webifyme-dev.allizom.org/pl/
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: INCOMPLETE → ---
and i am supposed to be able to do this as it requires a username/password?
(Reporter)

Comment 4

7 years ago
(In reply to Bill Gianopoulos from comment #3)
> and i am supposed to be able to do this as it requires a username/password?

See here: https://l10n-stage-sj.mozilla.org/webby/webify-me
Sorry, should have looked at the component more closely :-)

Comment 6

7 years ago
Stas: this was working before now pl redirects to en-US. I've tested fr, de, and es, and they all work fine. I've switched my browser language and it looks like pl is the only one having problems.

Maybe the pl PO file is missing from dev?
I removed pl from known_languages_prod, because it wasn't ready. I suspect that DEV is set to False on the dev server, which makes the site use known_languages_prod instead of known_languages_dev (where pl is listed for now).

i dont know if DEV is used elsewhere, but the original idea was to use it to distinguish betweendev and prod servers without relying on the value of DEBUG.  can we switch it to Tre on the dev server?
(Reporter)

Comment 8

7 years ago
(In reply to Staś Małolepszy :stas from comment #7)
Staś: This bug is for stage pages. See link.

Comment 9

7 years ago
This should resolve itself on production after Stas verifies that the Polish locale is completely finished, Dev = false, and settings.py includes pl as an available locale. The dev server must be set to dev=false thus this problem is by design as pl is not currently enabled.
Severity: blocker → normal
I won't be able to add Polish on prod until I can see it on dev and test that it works.  Also, Leszek needs in on dev in order to proofread the localization.

Why do we require DEV = False on dev?  The reason why we added this variable was precisely so that we can distinguish between the prod and dev environments.

Comment 11

7 years ago
Stas: I have no idea why it was set to false on dev, it was probably before I took over the project or it was always like that. I grepped all the code for settings.DEV and found no occurrences of it. I am pretty sure that setting that to true or false won't do anything or at least I cannot find anything.

The settings.debug is the variable is used got image and thumbnail generation by a separate worker process.

KNOWN_LANGUAGES_DEV and KNOWN_LANGUAGES_PROD are only used in settings.py. There is no clever logic in the application, a few lines below it says KNOWN_LANGUAGES = KNOWN_LANGUAGES_PROD thus KNOWN_LANGUAGES_DEV is never used.

I would have assumed it would be like this:

IF DEV == True THEN
 KNOWN_LANGUAGES = KNOWN_LANGUAGES_DEV
ELSE
 KNOWN_LANGUAGES = KNOWN_LANGUAGES_PROD
ENDIF

But that's not the case... :)
(In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #11)

> KNOWN_LANGUAGES_DEV and KNOWN_LANGUAGES_PROD are only used in settings.py.
> There is no clever logic in the application, a few lines below it says
> KNOWN_LANGUAGES = KNOWN_LANGUAGES_PROD thus KNOWN_LANGUAGES_DEV is never
> used.

Could we change this to KNOWN_LANGUAGES = KNOWN_LANGUAGES_DEV locally on the dev server?  

(FWIW, this is the last project that needs this, Playdoh handles this in a much nicer way these days.)
Here's another idea:

I'll commit a change th settings.py to set KNOWN_LANGUAGES = KNOWN_LANGUAGES_DEV.  This will be the default setting. 

Then, IT would change it to KNOWN_LANGUAGES = KNOWN_LANGUAGES_PROD on production, locally.  Is this even possible?  Or is 'production' in reality a cluster of, like, 50 servers, and making local changes is hard?

Raising the severity too, I need Polish on stage soon.

Thanks!
Severity: normal → critical
(In reply to Staś Małolepszy :stas from comment #13)
> Then, IT would change it to KNOWN_LANGUAGES = KNOWN_LANGUAGES_PROD on
> production, locally.  Is this even possible?  Or is 'production' in reality
> a cluster of, like, 50 servers, and making local changes is hard?

It *is* a cluster of, I think, 40 web servers, but the same settings_local is deployed to all of them -- IT can make changes, then push it out.
Can we locally change settings.py, or is settings_local.py the only file we can work with?
Locally, only ever change settings_local.py. settings.py contains project-wide reasonable defaults (and is therefore checked into git), settings_local overrides them with local settings.
Right, that makes sense.

We did a push this morning after which I added 'pl' to KNOWN_LANGUAGES_PROD in github:  https://github.com/mozilla/webifyme/commit/642575608ac2b4b14ddd015aa2a7230bdc3d97de

Polish is 100% done and under review right now.  It should be ready before the next push.
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago7 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
(Reporter)

Updated

7 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.