On "major" updates binary add-on should be disabled by default.

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

()

--
enhancement
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
7 years ago
7 years ago

People

(Reporter: Usul, Unassigned)

Tracking

8 Branch
x86
All
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

7 years ago
I've just updated from Thunderbird 7.0a2 to 8.0a2. I was prompted by a nice dialog telling to disable all addons I didn't use, and that dialog let me choose which one to enable after the update.
I like the fact that by default all my addons are checked so that they will be enabled. But I use binary add-ons and I think these should be disabled by default.
Which add-ons are you talking about Ludo? If those are still compatible we do not want to disable any of those. Per default we also only uncheck those which have not been installed by the user itself.
I think this is requesting that add-ons with binary component be exempt from ignoring compatibility checks when extensions.checkCompatibility.* is set. If so this is just bug 422939
(Reporter)

Comment 3

7 years ago
I had enigmail installed ( a version compiled for aurora/7.0*) I updated to aurora/8.0 and enigmail was enabled by default.

(In reply to Dave Townsend (:Mossop) from comment #2)
> I think this is requesting that add-ons with binary component be exempt from
> ignoring compatibility checks when extensions.checkCompatibility.* is set.
> If so this is just bug 422939

I have none of these set.
enigmail is not marked as compatible with Thunderbird 7 or 8 so it should have been disabled. Is this not what you see?
(Reporter)

Comment 5

7 years ago
(In reply to Dave Townsend (:Mossop) from comment #4)
> enigmail is not marked as compatible with Thunderbird 7 or 8 so it should
> have been disabled. Is this not what you see?

It's a bit more complicated as I install a nightly of enigmail once in a while. That Nightly is marked compatible with the current version of say our Aurora channel. At the next merge point - I stay on aurora but the Major version number is bumped, at this point I believe the add-on manager should mark that extension as disabled as it contains a binary extension.

Maybe there's no way to detect that an extension contains a binary part - if so we should clearly mark those in the manifest and then marke them incompatible on updates.
Ludo, can you please give us clear steps and some links for reproduction steps?
(Reporter)

Comment 7

7 years ago
1) install earlybirds version 8.0a
2) install enigmail from http://enigmail.mozdev.org/download/nightly.php.html to have a compatible version
3) Wait for the next major version bump
(In reply to Ludovic Hirlimann [:Usul] from comment #7)
> 1) install earlybirds version 8.0a
> 2) install enigmail from
> http://enigmail.mozdev.org/download/nightly.php.html to have a compatible
> version
> 3) Wait for the next major version bump

(In reply to Ludovic Hirlimann [:Usul] from comment #5)
> (In reply to Dave Townsend (:Mossop) from comment #4)
> > enigmail is not marked as compatible with Thunderbird 7 or 8 so it should
> > have been disabled. Is this not what you see?
> 
> It's a bit more complicated as I install a nightly of enigmail once in a
> while. That Nightly is marked compatible with the current version of say our
> Aurora channel. At the next merge point - I stay on aurora but the Major
> version number is bumped, at this point I believe the add-on manager should
> mark that extension as disabled as it contains a binary extension.

That is what should already happen, unless the add-on also claims compatibility with that new version. The versions you linked to don't seem to do this, could you possibly attach a zip of the version that you saw the problem with on the transition from 7.0a2 to 8.0a2 and a copy of your extensions.sqlite.
(Reporter)

Comment 9

7 years ago
I don't have these files - right now. I will gladly update the bug at my next version bump in 5 weeks. post-it is on my screen as a reminder.
(Reporter)

Comment 10

7 years ago
Ok on updating from 9 to 10 this morning didn't produce this -> WFM
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.