Last Comment Bug 688377 - about:license always contains license information about DirectX dlls
: about:license always contains license information about DirectX dlls
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
:
Product: Firefox
Classification: Client Software
Component: General (show other bugs)
: unspecified
: All All
: -- normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Gervase Markham [:gerv]
:
Mentors:
Depends on: 684831
Blocks: 630628
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2011-09-22 00:07 PDT by Mike Hommey [:glandium]
Modified: 2012-02-28 09:47 PST (History)
4 users (show)
See Also:
Crash Signature:
(edit)
QA Whiteboard:
Iteration: ---
Points: ---
Has Regression Range: ---
Has STR: ---


Attachments

Description Mike Hommey [:glandium] 2011-09-22 00:07:57 PDT
These files aren't shipped when ANGLE is not enabled, and more importantly, are not shipped on non Windows builds, where the about:license snipped about them is irrelevant.
Comment 1 Robert Strong [:rstrong] (use needinfo to contact me) 2011-09-22 00:21:35 PDT
I believe that is why the following is included above the licenses.
"(Note: your copy of this product may not contain code covered by one or more of the licenses listed here, depending on the exact product and version you choose)"

I think this is wontfix per the above.

Gerv, can you confirm?
Comment 2 Gervase Markham [:gerv] 2011-09-22 00:54:33 PDT
As you say, the text you quote is included in about:licence for precisely this reason. It was considered not worth the effort to write a system to make about:licence be dynamically constructed at build time (which is what you would need).

Gerv
Comment 3 Mike Hommey [:glandium] 2011-09-22 00:55:20 PDT
(In reply to Robert Strong [:rstrong] (do not email) from comment #1)
> I believe that is why the following is included above the licenses.
> "(Note: your copy of this product may not contain code covered by one or
> more of the licenses listed here, depending on the exact product and version
> you choose)"
> 
> I think this is wontfix per the above.

I think it shouldn't, because contrary to the other licenses listed in the same file, these are *not* free software licenses.
Comment 4 Mike Hommey [:glandium] 2011-09-22 00:56:14 PDT
(In reply to Gervase Markham [:gerv] from comment #2)
> As you say, the text you quote is included in about:licence for precisely
> this reason. It was considered not worth the effort to write a system to
> make about:licence be dynamically constructed at build time (which is what
> you would need).

There already is:

#ifdef APP_LICENSE_BLOCK
#includesubst @APP_LICENSE_BLOCK@
#endif

in the license.html file, which means it's preprocessed already.

Please reconsider.
Comment 5 Gervase Markham [:gerv] 2011-09-22 01:00:07 PDT
Hmm. A fair point. I have a bug open to tidy up this file anyway; at the very least, sadly-necessary non-free stuff should have its own section.

Gerv
Comment 6 Gervase Markham [:gerv] 2012-02-27 06:27:11 PST
glandium: are you able to give me the correct magic preprocessor incantations to put around the Windows-only license blocks?

Gerv
Comment 7 Mike Hommey [:glandium] 2012-02-27 06:46:48 PST
XP_WIN should be good.
Comment 8 Gervase Markham [:gerv] 2012-02-28 09:47:11 PST
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/54ff182dd2f3

Gerv

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.