Closed Bug 691163 Opened 11 years ago Closed 4 years ago

Swype 3.25.91.31127 inserts a space after every letter typed

Categories

(Firefox for Android Graveyard :: General, defect)

Firefox 9
ARM
Android
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED WONTFIX

People

(Reporter: mbrubeck, Unassigned)

References

Details

(Keywords: inputmethod, Whiteboard: [e10s])

Attachments

(1 file)

A user on Reddit reports that Swype on an HTC Desire running Cyanogenmod 7 inserts a space every time you type a letter:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/ky06p/thoughts_on_firefox_browser/c2o93xi?context=3
Duplicate of this bug: 691237
As requested by Matt Brubeck since my bug was declared a duplicate and subset of a larger issue:

Confirmed on: Samsung GalTab 10.1 3G (unlocked) / Android 3.1 (kernel 2.6.36.3) / Swype 3.9.86.27849
Note:  a comment I added to a different bug was marked as a duplicate of this one. I do not believe it is a duplicate.  Nevertheless, as directed, I am putting this comment here.  If you determine this is a different bug (which it is), please let me know if I need to open a new bug report or add this comment to another bug report. I did a search, and the previous bug I had commented on seemed to be the closest. It has nothing to do with extra spaces.

Device:  Droid X 
OS:        Android 2.3.3, 
App:       Swype 3.25.91.31127
           Firefox 7.0.1


With respect to any text input field in Firefox on Android using Swype

Background info: As the user selects characters, Swype guesses the word and presents options.  If the word choice Swype favors is incorrect, the user the opportunity to select the correct one or to use the backspace/delete "key" to remove characters that were mistyped.  

Issue:  In Firefox, when I use the backspace/delete, the entire word gets selected (highlight orange), then part of the word is deleted and the entire word is repeated in that space, then reselected.  No amount of using the delete/backspace key will allow the user to delete the word and the resulting copies of it.  I end up having to change "input type" and going to the stock keyboard.  This makes Firefox unusable for me.

I searched the Swype beta forums for this issue.  According to the Swype beta on-forum experts, "Unfortunately that looks like an application bug in the text field to me- it's supposed to delete the original word and replace it with the underlined version, it appears to not have done the deletion. That's likely a result of the application not supporting the InputConnection call we use, but still claiming it does by returning true."
As requested by Matt Brubeck since my bug was declared a duplicate and subset of a larger issue:

Confirmed on: Samsung GalTab 10.1 3G (unlocked) / Android 3.1 (kernel 2.6.36.3) / Swype 3.9.86.27849
tracking-fennec: --- → ?
tracking-fennec: ? → 10+
Assignee: nobody → alexp
Depends on: 653895
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Disabling the "Auto-spacing" option seems to help a bit, though does not really fixes the issue.
Doesn't happen with native UI.
tracking-fennec: 10+ → ---
Whiteboard: [e10s]
I'have the same problem with the last version of Android 2.3 and Firefox

Device:  Samsung Galaxy S2
OS:         Android 2.3.5
App:       Swype 3.25.91.33835
                Firefox 8.0


> With respect to any text input field in Firefox on Android using Swype
> 
> Background info: As the user selects characters, Swype guesses the word and
> presents options.  If the word choice Swype favors is incorrect, the user
> the opportunity to select the correct one or to use the backspace/delete
> "key" to remove 
(In reply to gekko from comment #3)
> Note:  a comment I added to a different bug was marked as a duplicate of
> this one. I do not believe it is a duplicate.  Nevertheless, as directed, I
> am putting this comment here.  If you determine this is a different bug
> (which it is), please let me know if I need to open a new bug report or add
> this comment to another bug report. I did a search, and the previous bug I
> had commented on seemed to be the closest. It has nothing to do with extra
> spaces.
> 
> Device:  Droid X 
> OS:        Android 2.3.3, 
> App:       Swype 3.25.91.31127
>            Firefox 7.0.1
> 
> 
> With respect to any text input field in Firefox on Android using Swype
> 
> Background info: As the user selects characters, Swype guesses the word and
> presents options.  If the word choice Swype favors is incorrect, the user
> the opportunity to select the correct one or to use the backspace/delete
> "key" to remove characters that were mistyped.  
> 
> Issue:  In Firefox, when I use the backspace/delete, the entire word gets
> selected (highlight orange), then part of the word is deleted and the entire
> word is repeated in that space, then reselected.  No amount of using the
> delete/backspace key will allow the user to delete the word and the
> resulting copies of it.  I end up having to change "input type" and going to
> the stock keyboard.  This makes Firefox unusable for me.
> 
> I searched the Swype beta forums for this issue.  According to the Swype
> beta on-forum experts, "Unfortunately that looks like an application bug in
> the text field to me- it's supposed to delete the original word and replace
> it with the underlined version, it appears to not have done the deletion.
> That's likely a result of the application not supporting the InputConnection
> call we use, but still claiming it does by returning true."
(In reply to Malix from comment #7)
> I'have the same problem with the last version of Android 2.3 and Firefox
> 
> Device:  Samsung Galaxy S2
> OS:         Android 2.3.5
> App:       Swype 3.25.91.33835
>                 Firefox 8.0

The XUL version of Fennec (Firefox Mobile) will soon be replaced by a native UI version, which is being developed now. Though the bug is still in the versions available on Android Market today, it is not happening in the latest development versions.
Attached patch WIP PatchSplinter Review
This is an attempt to use the approach from bug 595008 to optimize IME-related communication between Java and Gecko. Unfortunately it doesn't work right away. Seems like e10s, which adds an additional layer between the main and content processes still causes some interference, which results in out of sync state. A visible outcome looks like duplicated characters and parts of edit text in most cases.

This might be fixed with further debugging, but it will take time, and the result is not guaranteed. As the XUL version is not a priority at this moment, I will not proceed for now keeping the WIP patch just in case we decide to spend more time on this.
Doesn't happen in Fennec Native.
Won't fix?
Assignee: alex.mozilla → nobody
Removing qawanted since this is not a native issue.
Keywords: qawanted
Duplicate of this bug: 761851
Confirmed on Samsung Galaxy S2, Sprint Epic 4G Touch version. Android 2.3.6. Firefox Mobile version 10.0.5.
(In reply to koroluka from comment #13)
> Confirmed on Samsung Galaxy S2, Sprint Epic 4G Touch version. Android 2.3.6.
> Firefox Mobile version 10.0.5.

koroluke, Does this occurs on Native UI version on Google Play store?
(In reply to Makoto Kato from comment #14)
> (In reply to koroluka from comment #13)
> > Confirmed on Samsung Galaxy S2, Sprint Epic 4G Touch version. Android 2.3.6.
> > Firefox Mobile version 10.0.5.
> 
> koroluke, Does this occurs on Native UI version on Google Play store?

No, It does not. I just tested it out with version 14.0 and it seems to be fixed. I think I'll switch back to Firefox as my default browser, since Chrome for Android is only for ICS and up and Sprint is taking FOREVER to release ICS for this phone.
Thanks.  This is XUL version only.
Component: Widget: Android → General
Product: Core → Fennec
Version: 9 Branch → Firefox 9
Closing all opened bug in a graveyard component
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.