[brand-Q4] update Firefox first run page with stronger brand messaging

VERIFIED FIXED in 4.8

Status

www.mozilla.org
General
VERIFIED FIXED
7 years ago
6 years ago

People

(Reporter: John Slater, Assigned: sgarrity)

Tracking

unspecified

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: r=98189,98190,98191,98201 b=trunk, URL)

(Reporter)

Description

7 years ago
One of Engagement's Q4 goals is to communicate our brand messaging more boldly and effectively during the Firefox download experience. 

I've filed bug 695462 and bug 695465 to track the copy and design portion of the work, but also want to make sure this is on the web team's radar. 

The assets are due on 11/3...Laura, what's the next release after that we can realistically get this into?
(Reporter)

Updated

7 years ago
Blocks: 695478

Comment 1

7 years ago
Hey John  - Please update this bug with final copy once you have them.
Assignee: nobody → jslater
Target Milestone: --- → 4.5

Updated

7 years ago
Target Milestone: 4.5 → 4.6

Updated

7 years ago
Target Milestone: 4.6 → 4.7

Comment 2

7 years ago
I think John is back today, but I thought I would add the copy here while I had the bug open. Hope that's OK. I also made a couple of tweaks to this one: I capitalized Web, per our style, and I added the word "more" to "privacy" and "control." I think it's bolder and flows better, but if people disagree, happy to revert that change.


A better browser. For the greater good.
Welcome. Our goal is to keep the power of the Web in people's hands by offering more customization, more privacy and more control. That means a better experience for you and a brighter future for the Web. Learn more.
(Reporter)

Comment 3

7 years ago
Looks good to me. Thanks Matej.
(Reporter)

Comment 4

7 years ago
Hi Steven. We now have the design files ready to go on. The link below should contain two files - one for the page background and the other for the content itself.

http://people.mozilla.com/~smartell/engagement/mozcom/home_nonfxusers_EC1.zip

Please let me know if you have any questions. In terms of timing, this is very high priority...we'd like to fast track this for a launch early next week if at all possible. Is that doable?

Thanks!
Assignee: jslater → steven

Comment 5

7 years ago
I just had a look at the PSD and noticed that the Thank You and First Run pages are reversed. Thank You starts with "Welcome to the only browser that puts you first." and First Run starts with "A better browser. For the greater good."

There's also slightly tweaked copy for this page:

A better browser. For the greater good.
Welcome. Our goal is to keep the power of the Web in people's hands with a browser that’s fast, flexible and secure. That means a better experience for you and a brighter future for the Web. Learn more.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

7 years ago
Good catch, thanks Matej. Please be sure to review the copy on the various pages once they're on stage, too.

Updated

7 years ago
Target Milestone: 4.7 → 4.8
(Assignee)

Comment 7

7 years ago
A few questions about this one:

As the "Step 2" box is gone from this design (see the current design here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/8.0/firstrun/), I presume that the "KNOW YOUR BROWSER" box that opens up with a tour of the UI is gone from this page?

Also, this design has a placeholder for the video, but "Meet Firefox" text or anything with the play button. Should that video placeholder look exactly as it does in the PSD (light gradient with a blue play button) until clicked, or should it get a "poster" frame from the actual video, like we do on the Videos page: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/video/

The large background mosaic is a bit of a file size issue, so I'm taking some liberties with the implementation. I'll have something to show tomorrow.
(Reporter)

Comment 8

7 years ago
(In reply to Steven Garrity from comment #7)
> As the "Step 2" box is gone from this design (see the current design here:
> http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/8.0/firstrun/), I presume that the
> "KNOW YOUR BROWSER" box that opens up with a tour of the UI is gone from
> this page?

Yep, exactly.
 
> Also, this design has a placeholder for the video, but "Meet Firefox" text
> or anything with the play button. Should that video placeholder look exactly
> as it does in the PSD (light gradient with a blue play button) until
> clicked, or should it get a "poster" frame from the actual video, like we do
> on the Videos page: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/video/

Good call - "poster" frame would look nice, as long as it's clear there's a play button or something to get it started.

> The large background mosaic is a bit of a file size issue, so I'm taking
> some liberties with the implementation. I'll have something to show tomorrow.

Thanks - sounds great.
(Assignee)

Comment 9

7 years ago
This is done in trunk and ready for QA: http://www-dev.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/8.0/firstrun/
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Keywords: qawanted
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Whiteboard: r=98189 b=trunk
(Assignee)

Comment 10

7 years ago
Missed Matej's changes in comment #5. Fixed.
Whiteboard: r=98189 b=trunk → r=98189,98190 b=trunk
(Assignee)

Comment 11

7 years ago
Missed a config file - I think I've got it all this time.
Whiteboard: r=98189,98190 b=trunk → r=98189,98190,98191 b=trunk
(Reporter)

Comment 12

7 years ago
Looks good, thanks.

Raymond, please make sure this gets an extra amount of testing...it's a big page, obviously, and we want it to go right.
Looking great. Just two small tweaks and a question from me.

I lost this in my version of the copy, but we originally had an exclamation mark after Welcome! It's a really small thing, but I think it's friendlier. Would love to add that back in if possible.

On the email signup, can we lowercase In and Touch? Should be: "Keep in touch"

The question is about the mobile button. Most places we've been changing "for Mobile" to "for Android." Should we do the same here? I'd vote for yes.

Thanks!
(Assignee)

Comment 14

7 years ago
(In reply to Matej Novak [:matej] from comment #13)
> I lost this in my version of the copy, but we originally had an exclamation
> mark after Welcome! It's a really small thing, but I think it's friendlier.
> Would love to add that back in if possible.

Sure! Done.

> On the email signup, can we lowercase In and Touch? Should be: "Keep in
> touch"
Done.
 
> The question is about the mobile button. Most places we've been changing
> "for Mobile" to "for Android." Should we do the same here? I'd vote for yes.
I went ahead and made this change. Let me know if I should revert.
Whiteboard: r=98189,98190,98191 b=trunk → r=98189,98190,98191,98201 b=trunk
(Reporter)

Comment 15

7 years ago
(In reply to Steven Garrity from comment #14)
> > The question is about the mobile button. Most places we've been changing
> > "for Mobile" to "for Android." Should we do the same here? I'd vote for yes.
> I went ahead and made this change. Let me know if I should revert.

Good call. Let's definitely keep it.
pushed to production r98236
verified fixed http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/8.0/firstrun/
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Keywords: qawanted
Component: www.mozilla.org/firefox → www.mozilla.org
Product: Websites → Websites
Component: www.mozilla.org → General
Product: Websites → www.mozilla.org
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.