Closed Bug 699966 Opened 8 years ago Closed 4 years ago

XULRunner runtime package doesn't work on Mac OS X

Categories

(Toolkit Graveyard :: XULRunner, defect)

x86
macOS
defect
Not set

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED INCOMPLETE

People

(Reporter: kazuho, Unassigned)

Details

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
Build ID: 20110928134238

Steps to reproduce:

I installed XULRunner runtime 7.0.1 from http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/. But xulrunner-bin doesn't work as I expected. I followed this instruction. https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Getting_started_with_XULRunner

Steps to reproduce:
1) Install http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/xulrunner/releases/7.0.1/runtimes/xulrunner-7.0.1.en-US.mac-pkg.dmg
2) /Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework.xul/runner-bin --app application.ini does not work
3) (cd /Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/Current; ./xulrunner-bin --app $(APP_PATH)/application.ini) does have same result (no app runnning, no log)
4) (cd /Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/Current; ./xulrunner-bin --install-app $(APP_PATH)/application.ini $(APP_PATH) does work, sort of. It setup application directory structure, copy files. But when I click app icon, (or run App.app/Contents/MacOS/xulrunner)  It says "Could not find the Mozilla runtime."

I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but it won't help. I also copy files from /Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/Current/* to app/Contents/MacOS, but got same result.
I also tried several other old version, but got same result. The same app works fine XULRunner 2.0 on Mac, all version on Windows.
This has been mentioned on Stack Overflow and in other places.  My application.ini works when run with 'Firefox -app' but XULRunner doesn't do anything.  No errors, it just exits.

xulrunner-bin -v gives: "Mozilla XULRunner <Error> - <Error>"

I've tried binary releases 10, 11 and upcoming 13 with the same results.
Component: XUL → XULRunner
Product: Core → Toolkit
QA Contact: xptoolkit.widgets → xulrunner
Version: 7 Branch → Trunk
I have the same problem on Mac OS Lion x64
I have the same problem, using the latest XULRunner 11 (stable).
If I launch the application with Firefox 11 all works fine, but directly from xulrunner-bin nothing happens.

"xulrunner-bin -v" shows:
"Mozilla XULRunner <Error> - <Error>".

I use a MacOS Lion 1.7.3 x64
Same here, also on Lion. 1.9.2.16 works fine (checked an hour ago). But XULRunner 11 exits silently if I try to --install-app, and gives the same error as above with -v. No errors appear in the system log.
I'm new to Mac, using Mac OS 10.5 and XULRunner 11.0. When I run xulrunner-bin with no switch, it displays help, but xulrunner with any other switch fails. Trying to run the application fails silently with no error displayed.
same behavior on OS X 10.7.3 (three different machines) while attempting to install/run the demo from the tutorial. Firefox will load it, but not xulrunner-bin version 12
I'm having the same behaviour. Running OSX 10.6, xulrunner 16.0.2, no results from running an app. I ran the framework under dtruss in the following manner:

dtruss -f -t open /Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/xulrunner `pwd`/application.ini

returned:

	PID/THRD  SYSCALL(args) 		 = return
  912/0x38b4:  open("/usr/lib/dtrace/libdtrace_dyld.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 3 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/libmozglue.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 3 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/dev/dtracehelper\0", 0x2, 0x100440610)		 = 4 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/libxpcom.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 3 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/dev/dtracehelper\0", 0x2, 0x7FFF5FC497C0)		 = 3 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/xulrunner\0", 0x0, 0x1FF)		 = 3 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/libnspr4.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 4 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/libplc4.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 4 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/libplds4.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 4 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/libnssutil3.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 4 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/libnss3.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 4 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/libsmime3.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 4 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/libssl3.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 4 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/libmozsqlite3.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)	 = 4 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/libmozalloc.dylib\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 4 0
  912/0x38b4:  open("/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/Versions/16.0.2/XUL\0", 0x0, 0x0)		 = 4 0

Pity that nobody is working on this bug.
Do any errors appear in the OSX system console when you attempt to run your app?
I tried to run ChatZilla against XULRunner 16.0.2 on OSX 10.8, based on http://chatzilla.rdmsoft.com/xulrunner/. I'd unpacked the xr tar.bz2 in /Library/Frameworks/, given it's not an mpkg any more. The calls to --install-app failed with no output, and exit code 2.
XULRunner has been removed from the Mozilla tree: see https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.platform/_rFMunG2Bgw for context.

I am closing all the bugs currently in the XULRunner bugzilla component, in preparation for moving this component to the graveyard. If this bug is still valid in a XULRunner-less world, it will need to be moved to a different bugzilla component to be reopened.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Closed: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
Product: Toolkit → Toolkit Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.