browserid is our first site to be based on node.js. Let's document what we do and why that works good or OK as we learn what we're doing.
(In reply to Axel Hecht [:Pike] from comment #0) Maybe you can re-work https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Web_frameworks. If the way you document this isn't that page, we can redirect it to your solution that closes this bug.
CCing Rik Detailed work log is in https://etherpad.mozilla.org/localize-browserid Update: I'm working with @Matjaž in two phases: 1) System perspective, making Node app localizable 2) Wrapping all strings in the app with gettext, extracting/merge po files In first step we'll figure out which Node modules can be re-used and build missing glue based on sample set of template/JS files. In second step we'll get the app codebase ready for the L10n community to contribute via PO files in SVN.
I briefly chatted with Austin, just to dump this somewhere in writing: It might be easier to localize the templates server-side instead of doing both the templating and the localization in client js.
As I already said at the meeting today, I'm really impressed by the progress you made. Great job! To test i18n support for the BrowsearID service, me and Axel agree we should localize a few dialogs with a fake locale. Perhaps Axel can say something more about translate toolkit, which creates similar translations.
I was thinking of podebug, http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/podebug. I'll read and comment more.
I've found https://github.com/mozilla/browserid/blob/dev/lib/browserid/prove_template.txt, which seems to be unhandled at this point? Anywho: I'd love to join a call of you guys to get a verbal update. The etherpad is useful, but I'm better digesting information aurally. I'm particularly wondering about the combination of l10n on both client and server, even more so if we're doing them slightly different on the js side, ie. local gettext library on the server vs json on the client.
(In reply to Axel Hecht [:Pike] from comment #8) > I've found https://github.com/mozilla/browserid/blob/dev/lib/browserid/prove_template.txt, > which seems to be unhandled at this point? Good call, I didn't spend much time on email. I'll look into how those templates work. > I'd love to join a call of you guys to get a verbal update. We're in IRC in #identity. I'll look for you, maybe we can Skype today.
Created attachment 587727 [details] BrowserID in db-LB (In reply to Axel Hecht [:Pike] from comment #7) podebug is very useful! See attachment. Adding a new debug locale 'db-lb' "David Bowie - Labyrinth" to trigger debug mode, Esperanto on development servers will switch to db-lb instead of 'eo'. As noted in https://github.com/mozilla/browserid/issues/873 making db-lb a RTL locale, to add to disorientation for westerners.
Adding i18n to wsapi for email. Organized strings into * messages.po - Node.js strings * client.po - Client-side strings Switched email from mustache to EJS templates. Created fake locale db-LB for development and debugging. Updated extract, merge, compile scripts SVN updated http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc?view=revision&revision=99911 Github updated: https://github.com/ozten/browserid/commit/2c5e62c3bab7847b5d360f2f3593157e3baa7f5e
Here is a short no-audio screencast to show which screens we've wrapped with gettext while implementing the i18n portion of this bug. http://ozten.com/random/browserid/browserid-i18n.ogv - Loads directly in Firefox. Code is currently under review at https://github.com/mozilla/browserid/pull/897
Update: We're done with the i18n phase and things are looking good, so far. Please try it out on dev 1) Set your preferred locale to Esperanto* 2) http://dev.myfavoritebeer.org/ and Sign in If you see English strings in a couple places, we are still working out caching and deployment bugs, probably Monday. This current release train will be 2 weeks, instead of 1 week as previously discussed. * Until we have a language picker, we need a locale to trigger our easter egg db-LB locale.
In FireFox on Mac, selected Esperanto [eo] as my preferred (first pick) language. Opened http://dev.myfavoritebeer.org/ and signed in with a known account. I see nothing localized. Same result for Chrome on Mac. Restarted each browser just in case I needed that for setting locale. PS: dev.myfavoritebeer.org + Safari is a sad face (I can not even Sign In)
@mathjazz has us in the homestretch here... Temporary preview environment - http://temporary_preview.myfavoritebeer.org/ Localizers can start testing their locales on this temporary server. Progress - https://localize.mozilla.org/projects/browserid/ A permanent l10n preview environment is being built, but due to lack of IP Addresses isn't ready. We're on schedule for a Feb 8th launch of signed off locales.
Most locales are enabled on stage, we should test the deployment per Bug#723775 Live update is still only on temporary_preview.
We are scheduled to ship to produciton either next Wed 2/15 or Thursday. All locales that are 100% translated will be enabled.
And where live in production with: "ca", "cs", "da", "de", "el", "en-US", "es", "et", "eu", "fi", "fr", "fy", "ga", "hr", "it", "lij", "nl", "pa", "pl", "ru", "sk", "sl", "sq", "sr", "sv", "tr", "zh-CN", "zh-TW" Doing push verification, but marking bug fixed.