Closed Bug 710078 Opened 10 years ago Closed 10 years ago

Enable updater for Nightly and Aurora; disable updater for Beta and Final

Categories

(Firefox for Android Graveyard :: General, defect)

ARM
Android
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED WONTFIX

People

(Reporter: cpeterson, Assigned: cpeterson)

References

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

Toggle off the updater code in GeckoApp.java. Basically we didn't really have a way before we added branding-specific resource files. Nightly and Aurora use the updater code, and Beta and Final (usually) go to the store.  If we have a product going to the store, we probably want to disable the updater.

This bug depends on bug 708114 (branding-specific resource files).
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
1. Add an |enableMozUpdater| flag to defaults.xml, the channel-specific resource file.
2. Check enableMozUpdater before queuing an IdleHandler to check for updates.
Attachment #581470 - Flags: review?(doug.turner)
Comment on attachment 581470 [details] [diff] [review]
add-update-flag.patch

Review of attachment 581470 [details] [diff] [review]:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Can the value of enableMozUpdater depend directly on the cflag MOZ_UPDATER being defined?
Comment on attachment 581470 [details] [diff] [review]
add-update-flag.patch

Review of attachment 581470 [details] [diff] [review]:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

i'd like to be able to use the cflag MOZ_UPDATER to control this value.
Attachment #581470 - Flags: review?(doug.turner) → review-
Is the moz updater part of our plot to pull some beta users onto native aurora early?

If so, does this conflict with that plan?
PS: How does this impact single-locale builds that people get from the website that we can't expose through the markets?
(In reply to Axel Hecht [:Pike] from comment #5)
> PS: How does this impact single-locale builds that people get from the
> website that we can't expose through the markets?

We don't currently push any updates to any beta or release builds.  (The builds on our FTP server are the same builds we publish in the Android Market, so pushing updates to them would also push confusing and sometimes uninstallable updates to Android Market users.)

If we want to make auto-updating beta and release builds available to non-market users in the future, we can do it by making special non-market builds with the updater enabled and on a channel where we will publish updates.
(In reply to Matt Brubeck (:mbrubeck) from comment #6)
> If we want to make auto-updating beta and release builds available to
> non-market users in the future, we can do it by making special non-market
> builds with the updater enabled and on a channel where we will publish
> updates.

Looping in releng on this, I don't think "we can do special non-market builds" was on their plans.
(In reply to Axel Hecht [:Pike] from comment #7)
> Looping in releng on this, I don't think "we can do special non-market
> builds" was on their plans.

I'm not saying we *should* do this.  All I'm saying is that (a) we've never done it, but (b) it has always been an option, and (c) it will still be an option after this change.

Basically, I'm saying that this change has no impact on people who download builds from our FTP servers.
What I'm saying is that we *do* intend to change how people update their release builds with native Firefox 11, at least for some of the builds we do.
(In reply to Matt Brubeck (:mbrubeck) from comment #6)
> (In reply to Axel Hecht [:Pike] from comment #5)
> > PS: How does this impact single-locale builds that people get from the
> > website that we can't expose through the markets?
> 
> We don't currently push any updates to any beta or release builds.  (The
> builds on our FTP server are the same builds we publish in the Android
> Market, so pushing updates to them would also push confusing and sometimes
> uninstallable updates to Android Market users.)
> 
> If we want to make auto-updating beta and release builds available to
> non-market users in the future, we can do it by making special non-market
> builds with the updater enabled and on a channel where we will publish
> updates.

This is incorrect.

We will:

1) build android and android-xul beta+release builds with the updater turned on.
2) repack those builds as "partner repacks" where the channel is different, and send those partner repacks to the market.
3) add update snippets to the release channel, updating website beta+release apks.  Since the partner repack apks (read: Market apks) have a different channel, they will not get updates.

1+2+3 means this bug should be WONTFIXed.
Fixing this bug means we will no longer be able to release beta+release apks on our website as planned for Firefox 11 forward, and I will require it to be backed out.
Thanks for the clarification Aki.  Resolving as WONTFIX based on comment 10; we want the updater enabled for all builds, and will use repacks to create builds on various channels that do or don't get updates.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 10 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
Product: Firefox for Android → Firefox for Android Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.