User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2 Build ID: 20120215223356 Steps to reproduce: start firefox from a terminal: bang:D:~> firefox try to open a new window in the running firefox from another terminal: bang:D:~> firefox -remote 'openURL(http://www.mozilla.com, new-window)' Error: No running window found Test 1.) Verify it isn't just me Simple, I'll su up to root in the couple of terminals and make sure that things still don't work. root@bang:~# firefox root@bang:~# firefox -remote 'openURL(http://www.mozilla.com, new-window)' Hmm, the test works fine as root. The new window appears as expected. Test 2.) Well, if it is just me maybe something has gone pear shaped with my config. bang:D:~> mv .mozilla .mozilla.old Repeat test as above. Nope, that didn't fix anything. Still get no new window and receive the no running window found error. Test 3.) Well it used to work and I didn't delete the old firefox installation, lets just see. bang:D:/usr/bin# cd /usr/bin bang:D:/usr/bin# ls -l firefox lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Mar 2 16:57 firefox -> /usr/lib64/firefox-10.0/firefox bang:D:/usr/bin# rm firefox bang:D:/usr/bin# ln -s /usr/lib64/firefox-8.0.1/firefox . Rerun test as above. Now new windows work again. Conclusion: Something has broken the -remote functionality between firefox 8.0.1 and firefox 10.0 -10.0.2 but only for non-root users. On a related note, the URL below has a link to the details of -remote operation that is a 404. https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Command_Line_Options Actual results: Instead of getting a new window in my running firefox, I see the error: Error: No running window found Expected results: I should have seen a new window appear in my firefox session
Just checked with a buddy who is running the 32 bit version of the same release of the same distribution, and a test reveals that he isn't having the same issues. So it appears to also be 64bit OS only problem.
More dredging eventually revealed that sometime in the distant past I had set "MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1" in a .bashrc file. Starting with FF10 this seems to mean something different from what it meant in the past and disallowed multiple connections, my vague recollection was that this was needed to allow multiple connections at some point.