Last Comment Bug 761339 - Extension block request: LightShot
: Extension block request: LightShot
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
[extension]
:
Product: Toolkit
Classification: Components
Component: Blocklisting (show other bugs)
: unspecified
: All All
: -- normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody; OK to take it and work on it
:
Mentors:
Depends on:
Blocks: 760960
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2012-06-04 14:44 PDT by Alex Keybl [:akeybl]
Modified: 2016-03-07 15:30 PST (History)
9 users (show)
See Also:
Crash Signature:
(edit)
QA Whiteboard:
Iteration: ---
Points: ---
Has Regression Range: ---
Has STR: ---


Attachments
Lightshot 2.5.0 (338.94 KB, application/x-xpinstall)
2012-06-04 17:02 PDT, Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev]
no flags Details

Description Alex Keybl [:akeybl] 2012-06-04 14:44:23 PDT
Extension name: LightShot
Extension UUID: {394DCBA4-1F92-4f8e-8EC9-8D2CB90CB69B}
Extension versions to block: 2.5.0
Applications, versions, and platforms affected affected: FF13, Windows
Block severity: hard

Reasons: bug 760960 (45% startup crashes)
Comment 1 Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] 2012-06-04 15:26:42 PDT
I've staged the block now: https://addons-dev.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/i90

Couple of questions:
* Should be block only version 2.5.0 or also 2.0.1? (2.0.1 is also in the crash stats, apparently).
* Should be block in Firefox 13 and above, just 13, or all versions?
Comment 2 Anthony Hughes (:ashughes) [GFX][QA][Mentor] 2012-06-04 15:34:36 PDT
(In reply to Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] from comment #1)
> I've staged the block now:
> https://addons-dev.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/i90
I'll test this after addressing the questions.

> * Should be block only version 2.5.0 or also 2.0.1?
At least for me, the crash is unreproducible on 2.0.1

> * Should be block in Firefox 13 and above, just 13, or all versions?
The author has taken down Lightshot 2.5.0 so I can't do a comparison in crashiness of other Firefox versions. To be on the same side, I would recommend blocking it in all Firefox versions.
Comment 3 Anthony Hughes (:ashughes) [GFX][QA][Mentor] 2012-06-04 15:35:39 PDT
(In reply to Anthony Hughes, Mozilla QA (irc: ashughes) from comment #2)
> (In reply to Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] from comment #1)
> > I've staged the block now:
> > https://addons-dev.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/i90
> I'll test this after addressing the questions.

Hmm...I can't test this because the author has taken down LightShot 2.5.0. Do we have an archive somewhere?
Comment 4 Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] 2012-06-04 15:50:41 PDT
It looks like you can still get it in EXE form here:
http://updater.skillbrains.com/builds/setup-lightshot-2.5.0.0.exe

AMO doesn't keep the files for deleted versions.
Comment 5 Anthony Hughes (:ashughes) [GFX][QA][Mentor] 2012-06-04 16:04:54 PDT
(In reply to Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] from comment #4)
> It looks like you can still get it in EXE form here:
> http://updater.skillbrains.com/builds/setup-lightshot-2.5.0.0.exe

This actually installs Lightshot 2.5.0.5, even though the exe says 2.5.0.0.
This does not add any plug-in or add-on to Firefox.
This works by the PrtScr keyboard button instead of a UI button.
Tested this the same as before but I can't reproduce the crash.
Comment 6 Anthony Hughes (:ashughes) [GFX][QA][Mentor] 2012-06-04 16:05:26 PDT
Any chance we can reach out to the devs to get them to send us a LightShot 2.5.0 XPI?
Comment 7 Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] 2012-06-04 17:02:46 PDT
Created attachment 630001 [details]
Lightshot 2.5.0

Here's version 2.5.0, recovered from AMO.
Comment 8 Anthony Hughes (:ashughes) [GFX][QA][Mentor] 2012-06-04 17:50:06 PDT
Thanks Jorge. When testing the staged blocklist, I get the dialog saying "LightShot 2.5.0 is blocked" but the details link appears to be incorrect.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/i90 displays the blocklist details for "FlashPlayer 11 (malware)". If I load https://addons-dev.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/i90 it displays the LightShot details, so I guess the difference is in content on stage vs production.

The block appears to function correctly though:
 * add-on is disabled upon restart, UI button is removed and can't be re-added
 * add-on can be re-enabled and functions when re-enabled
 * block can be opted out
 * opting out of the block does not reprompt

The block info in blocklist.xml appears as:
<emItem blockID="i90" id="{394DCBA4-1F92-4f8e-8EC9-8D2CB90CB69B}">
  <versionRange minVersion="2.5.0" maxVersion="2.5.0" severity="1" /> 
</emItem>

All this was done with Firefox 13.0. Please let me know if you need testing done on other branches.
Comment 9 Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] 2012-06-04 19:13:32 PDT
(In reply to Anthony Hughes, Mozilla QA (irc: ashughes) from comment #8)
> Thanks Jorge. When testing the staged blocklist, I get the dialog saying
> "LightShot 2.5.0 is blocked" but the details link appears to be incorrect.

There's a separate preference you would need to change so that the details link points to the staging domain. That should work fine, so I wouldn't worry about it.

> The block appears to function correctly though:
>  * add-on is disabled upon restart, UI button is removed and can't be
> re-added
>  * add-on can be re-enabled and functions when re-enabled
>  * block can be opted out
>  * opting out of the block does not reprompt

Yes, I set it up as a soft block because I argued (elsewhere) that this would be the better way to go. I can switch it to a hard block if necessary.

> All this was done with Firefox 13.0. Please let me know if you need testing
> done on other branches.

I think testing on 13 is fine.

Alex, let me know what the timing is for pushing this live.
Comment 10 Anthony Hughes (:ashughes) [GFX][QA][Mentor] 2012-06-04 19:23:50 PDT
(In reply to Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] from comment #9)
> Yes, I set it up as a soft block because I argued (elsewhere) that this
> would be the better way to go. I can switch it to a hard block if necessary.

I'm fine whichever way. Sorry if I gave the impression above that I thought this should be a hard block.
 
> Alex, let me know what the timing is for pushing this live.

FYI, I'm fine doing this tonight if you want.
Comment 11 Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] 2012-06-04 19:53:49 PDT
I just approved Lightshot version 2.6.0, which is identical to version 2.0.1, which should help mitigate the crashes and the negative effects of the block. Given this, I recommend that we wait at least until tomorrow for the block to at least give some users time to move away from version 2.5.0.
Comment 12 Alex Keybl [:akeybl] 2012-06-04 20:25:44 PDT
(In reply to Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] from comment #11)
> I just approved Lightshot version 2.6.0, which is identical to version
> 2.0.1, which should help mitigate the crashes and the negative effects of
> the block. Given this, I recommend that we wait at least until tomorrow for
> the block to at least give some users time to move away from version 2.5.0.

We'll go as you suggest. We'll be ramping up to the first 10 million users quickly though, so let's tread carefully here. I don't want to wait too long to block.
Comment 13 Serg 2012-06-04 23:22:54 PDT
Hi all,

I'm Lightshot developer. First of all I want to apologize for this problem with 2.5.0 version. Thanks Jorge for fast response in approving 2.6.0 version to remove 2.5.0 version from users computers.
We are now solving problem with 2.5.0 version, but it is really hard to reproduce it on our side. Do you have any crash dumps so I can analyze them?
Comment 14 Anthony Hughes (:ashughes) [GFX][QA][Mentor] 2012-06-05 06:22:56 PDT
Hi Serg, bug 760960 should have the information you need.
Comment 15 Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] 2012-06-05 09:26:59 PDT
The block is now up in prod: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/i100

Lightshot users can avoid this block by upgrading to version 2.6.0, available through automatic updates.

Anthony, please verify.
Comment 16 Anthony Hughes (:ashughes) [GFX][QA][Mentor] 2012-06-05 10:35:08 PDT
The block is working with one caveat; if I try to update from a blocked 2.5.0 I get "error downloading update" in the add-ons manager. I have to enable 2.5.0 and check for updates in order to download and install the updated add-on.

CCing Dave and Blair to see if they can comment to this.
Comment 17 Dave Townsend [:mossop] 2012-06-05 10:56:31 PDT
(In reply to Anthony Hughes, Mozilla QA (irc: ashughes) from comment #16)
> The block is working with one caveat; if I try to update from a blocked
> 2.5.0 I get "error downloading update" in the add-ons manager. I have to
> enable 2.5.0 and check for updates in order to download and install the
> updated add-on.
> 
> CCing Dave and Blair to see if they can comment to this.

Can you enable extensions.logging.enabled, try the update and paste the messages that appear in the error console?
Comment 18 Anthony Hughes (:ashughes) [GFX][QA][Mentor] 2012-06-05 11:15:46 PDT
Must have been a temporary hiccup because I cannot reproduce this anymore. Marking this bug verified fixed.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.