If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

If the searched string doesn't match anything when filtering scripts with "#", the search is done by the first N chars of the string that do have a match

RESOLVED WONTFIX

Status

()

Firefox
Developer Tools: Debugger
P3
normal
RESOLVED WONTFIX
5 years ago
5 years ago

People

(Reporter: Ioana (away), Unassigned)

Tracking

15 Branch
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [testday-20120706])

(Reporter)

Description

5 years ago
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:15.0) Gecko/20120705 Firefox/15.0a2 (20120705042010)

STR:
1. Load a web page with multiple scripts in the browser.
2. Open the Debugger.
3. Enter a string in the "Filter scripts" textbox as follows: filename#str. Make sure the str string doesn't match any of the strings in the filename script.

If the searched string doesn't match anything when filtering scripts with "#", the search is done by the first N chars of the string that do have a match. For example, if I used "filename#whasdasd" for filtering, "while" was displayed as a match.
(Reporter)

Updated

5 years ago
Whiteboard: [testday-20120706]
Victor, is that a result of us not clearing the previous matches as the user types more characters?
Priority: -- → P3
(In reply to Panos Astithas [:past] from comment #1)
> Victor, is that a result of us not clearing the previous matches as the user
> types more characters?

Yes. I thought of this as a feature.
The more conservative way of doing this is 'jump to the first line of the file and deselect anything that was already selected/found'. Do we want this? Yes, it should be an easy fix, and I guess the win is not confusing the users, however some people prefer their searches to be as fuzzy as they can.

Panos, what do you think?
(In reply to Victor Porof from comment #2)
> (In reply to Panos Astithas [:past] from comment #1)
> > Victor, is that a result of us not clearing the previous matches as the user
> > types more characters?
> 
> Yes. I thought of this as a feature.
> The more conservative way of doing this is 'jump to the first line of the
> file and deselect anything that was already selected/found'. Do we want
> this? Yes, it should be an easy fix, and I guess the win is not confusing
> the users, however some people prefer their searches to be as fuzzy as they
> can.
> 
> Panos, what do you think?

Hm, I see your point. And we already highlight the matching characters, so it's not too unintuitive. If Ron agrees, I'd say we should WONTFIX this.
(In reply to Panos Astithas [:past] from comment #3)
> (In reply to Victor Porof from comment #2)
> > (In reply to Panos Astithas [:past] from comment #1)
> > > Victor, is that a result of us not clearing the previous matches as the user
> > > types more characters?
> > 
> > Yes. I thought of this as a feature.
> > The more conservative way of doing this is 'jump to the first line of the
> > file and deselect anything that was already selected/found'. Do we want
> > this? Yes, it should be an easy fix, and I guess the win is not confusing
> > the users, however some people prefer their searches to be as fuzzy as they
> > can.
> > 
> > Panos, what do you think?
> 
> Hm, I see your point. And we already highlight the matching characters, so
> it's not too unintuitive. If Ron agrees, I'd say we should WONTFIX this.

And besides Ron's, I'd also like Rob's thoughts on this.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.