Closed Bug 785652 Opened 8 years ago Closed 8 years ago

adding zh-TW and zh-CN to fennec

Categories

(Firefox for Android :: General, defect)

16 Branch
ARM
Android
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

()

VERIFIED FIXED
Firefox 18
Tracking Status
firefox17 - ---
firefox18 - ---
firefox19 + verified
firefox20 --- verified

People

(Reporter: krudnitski, Assigned: mfinkle)

Details

(Whiteboard: l10n)

Attachments

(1 file)

I would like to see about adding zh-TW and zh-CN to Firefox 17. How close / far away are we to achieving this? Based on requests from the field.
OS: Mac OS X → Android
Hardware: x86 → ARM
(In reply to Karen Rudnitski from comment #0)
> I would like to see about adding zh-TW and zh-CN to Firefox 17. How close /
> far away are we to achieving this? Based on requests from the field.

I'll let Pike speak to string coverage, but in terms of tradeoffs, we'd need to re-weigh the hit on download size (a major complaint on the Play store) and startup time.
Minusing for tracking though, since this would not block release.
From a "strings and search done" point of view, we could go in 16.

What I'd like to see is some documentation/transparency why we're adding those two, and not add the others of ar, ca, el, fa, hu, id, lt, ro, sk, sl, sr, th, tr, uk, vi. Not that all are in the same state as the two chinese. Those are locales to which we got contributions, and that are available on the market, so that would probably also fit "requests from the field".
Noticed the sign-off on zh-TW, zh-CN; are these to be included in the next mozilla-beta candidate or is that still pending?
My comment 3 is supposed to say, that we'd be ready from a "strings and search are done", which is the sign-off part.

The whole big-picture "these locales are ones we take, those are not, the perf is OK" piece is what we need to figure out still, and there's a meeting scheduled for next week.
While we're working on our single multi-locale build, we would like to investigate including the two Chinese locales into the Fennec multi-locale build for Fx 18. This would coincide nicely with MozCamp Asia, coincide with ARMv6 GA deployment, and satisfy a common pull / request from the region.

Therefore could we please get zh-CN and zh-TW into nightly? We'll then check file size and start-up time using the latest telemetry work that has been recently landing.

Thanks!
Whiteboard: l10n
Target Milestone: Firefox 17 → Firefox 18
(In reply to Karen Rudnitski from comment #6)

> Therefore could we please get zh-CN and zh-TW into nightly? We'll then check
> file size and start-up time using the latest telemetry work that has been
> recently landing.

Hold please. We want to get a baseline of startup telemetry first. Those probes have only just landed on nightly. Can we wait until after the merge on Oct 8th and then land on nightly? Once we are OK with the impact we can push the locales to aurora or beta as needed.
yes, of course!
(In reply to Mark Finkle (:mfinkle) from comment #7)
> (In reply to Karen Rudnitski from comment #6)
> 
> > Therefore could we please get zh-CN and zh-TW into nightly? We'll then check
> > file size and start-up time using the latest telemetry work that has been
> > recently landing.
> 
> Hold please. We want to get a baseline of startup telemetry first. Those
> probes have only just landed on nightly. Can we wait until after the merge
> on Oct 8th and then land on nightly? Once we are OK with the impact we can
> push the locales to aurora or beta as needed.

Hey Mark, do we plan to get this on 18 ? If not, I can untrack it here and track/nominate it appropriately for future release .
Flags: needinfo?(mark.finkle)
I think we have sufficient telemetry data on startup now. This could certainly land on Nightly and after reviewing the telemetry, it could likely be added to Aurora.

What code changes are required? Just adding to the locales manifest?
Flags: needinfo?(mark.finkle)
(In reply to Mark Finkle (:mfinkle) from comment #10)
> I think we have sufficient telemetry data on startup now. This could
> certainly land on Nightly and after reviewing the telemetry, it could likely
> be added to Aurora.
> 
> What code changes are required? Just adding to the locales manifest?

That's my understanding - don't think anything else is necessary (but CC'ing Aki just in case).
Assignee: nobody → mark.finkle
Right, add to all-locales for single locale repacks, and to maemo-locales for multilocale.
The locales were already in all-locales. The plan is to land these and look for startup/size regressions.
Attachment #681157 - Flags: review?(aki)
Comment on attachment 681157 [details] [diff] [review]
adding locales to maemo-locales

Looks like we're going to m-c and merging downstream?  If so we should be good.

If we land on aurora or beta without m-c, RelMan may need to avoid blowing away these changes on next merge (docs here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Merge_Documentation )
Attachment #681157 - Flags: review?(aki) → review+
(In reply to Aki Sasaki [:aki] from comment #14)

> Looks like we're going to m-c and merging downstream?  If so we should be
> good.

I assume so. Maybe even let it ride the trains.

http://hg.mozilla.org/integration/mozilla-inbound/rev/edc439669f6d
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/edc439669f6d
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
(In reply to Aki Sasaki [:aki] from comment #14)
> Comment on attachment 681157 [details] [diff] [review]
> adding locales to maemo-locales
> 
> Looks like we're going to m-c and merging downstream?  If so we should be
> good.
> 
> If we land on aurora or beta without m-c, RelMan may need to avoid blowing
> away these changes on next merge (docs here:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Merge_Documentation )

We didn't get the memo here, so I've just relanded and clobbered Aurora (to be safe).

https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-aurora/rev/b4ea6db96e59
Flags: needinfo?(krudnitski)
Karen - is this still something you'd like to get into FF18? We're already a couple of weeks into the beta cycle, so I'd really like to leave this to ride the trains in FF19.

Adding qawanted/verifyme to do targeted testing around the additional localizations.
Keywords: qawanted, verifyme
QA Contact: kbrosnan
Ok, let's put it into Fx 19. There was not a HUGE driving need for it into 18, so may as well not rush it. But I want to start spreading the word that it's going to be included in Fx 19 - so can we be pretty confident it will be in? :)
Flags: needinfo?(krudnitski)
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Keywords: qawanted, verifyme
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.