Closed Bug 793088 Opened 7 years ago Closed 7 years ago

Startup failure in localization builds since Aurora17.0a2 20120920042010


(Release Engineering :: General, defect, blocker)

Not set


(firefox17+ fixed, firefox18+ fixed)

Tracking Status
firefox17 + fixed
firefox18 + fixed


(Reporter: alice0775, Assigned: rail)



(Whiteboard: [buildduty])


(1 file)

Steps to reproduce:
1. Insatall
2. Start Firefox with clean profile

Actual results:
  Startup failure

XML パースエラー: 定義されていない実体が使用されています。
URL: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
行番号: 540, 列番号: 9:        <button default="true"

Regression Pushlog:
Similar thing happen with l10n Nightly 18a:
"XML parsing error: undefined entity
Area: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Line Number: 1630, column 13:
<menuitem id="appmenu_sync-tabs"

Startup failure, problem reported also here:
Download from and install.
Aurora fails to start up and I get same error in comment#0

So I change mportance to blocker
Severity: normal → blocker
Same bug for romanian build.
Sounds like this bug affects more than one locale. CC'ing Axel.
I don't know what's going on, the regression range in comment 0 isn't it.

Over to releng to see if there is something in the automation going wrong. Right now, the behaviour indicates is spanning locales and branches.
Component: ja / Japanese → Release Engineering: Automation (General)
Product: Mozilla Localizations →
QA Contact: bugzilla → catlee
Version: unspecified → other
Whiteboard: [buildduty]
So, the culprit seems to be the following:

 argv: ['make', u'installers-de', 'LOCALE_MERGEDIR=$PWD/merged']

ends up as

/builds/slave/m-cen-osx64-l10n-ntly/build/mozilla-central/_virtualenv/bin/python ../../config/ \
	   -j ../../dist/xpi-stage/locale-de/chrome \

that is, $PWD is expanded to WD. No idea why that'd be the case, though.

Also, verified on mac nightly german.
Duplicate of this bug: 793101
my guess is that this isn't being run through the shell, so $PWD isn't expanded as a bash variable. Then make sees is, and expands $P to "" and you're left with "WD".
That should be something like ['sh', '-c', u'make installers-de LOCALE_MERGEDIR=$PWD/merged'].
Depends on: 772446
Duplicate of this bug: 793164
Duplicate of this bug: 793149
Assignee: nobody → rail
Attached patch fix v1Splinter Review
Attachment #663411 - Flags: review?(catlee)
Attachment #663411 - Flags: review?(catlee) → review+
we disabled nightly and aurora updates around 07:52 PT
Duplicate of this bug: 793200
Duplicate of this bug: 793207
Error for romanian language: Eroare la analiza XML: entitate nedefinită
Adresă: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Număr linie 246, coloană 5:    <broadcaster id="devtoolsMenuBroadcaster_DevToolbar"
The patch worked, need to trigger a nightly build (will do in a bit).
Could somebody download and verify if the nightlies are ok?
(In reply to Rail Aliiev [:rail] from comment #21)
> Could somebody download and verify if the nightlies are ok? works for me.
Russian Windows build for central still shows the error. Apparently it's been build before patch has been checked in and not respinned.
The l10n nightlies are still not all done yet, and windows seems to be even waiting on the en-US nightly to finish still.
(In reply to Rail Aliiev [:rail] from comment #21)
> Could somebody download and verify if the nightlies are ok?

Polish Nightly 18, working again without problem.
Now, romanian build win32 for Nightly working. Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/18.0 Firefox/18.0 ID:20120922030540 . Built from
Shouldn't this bug affect all localization builds? Im very curious why some languages were totally fine. Like zh-CN and zh-TW are basically the same language, but ont was broken, one was ok.
This bug affected code paths with strings missing in existing files. Depending on which strings would miss, this could break on start-up, or at some point, or, not at all, for totally complete or just as well for totally incomplete localizations.
Thanks for the explanation, good to know.
Latest en-GB nightly fixed it for me.
Marking FIXED per reports here, and inspection of some of the build logs. Let's use bug 793379 to track the updates.
Closed: 7 years ago
OS: Windows 7 → All
Resolution: --- → FIXED
(In reply to Rail Aliiev [:rail] from comment #15)
> Comment on attachment 663411 [details] [diff] [review]
> fix v1

Marking FF17 as fixed, please correct if wrong.
Does not work in Aurora 17.0a2, Fixed in Nightly 18.0a1
(In reply to Mad Goldfish from comment #32)
> Does not work in Aurora 17.0a2, Fixed in Nightly 18.0a1

Please give much more specific information, which aurora build did you have, which is the broken one, how did you update, and what do you mean by "does not work". Thanks
Bug, as originally reported, exists in FF17.0a2 (Aurora) - which is the current download on the website, and FF will only display the English version of XML parse error shown in the description.

FF18.0a1 (Nightly) from 2012-09-25 starts up normally as expected, and does not show the issue.

Both on Windows 7 using en-GB locale
20120924042009 en-GB on aurora, win 7 works for me.
Product: → Release Engineering
Component: General Automation → General
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.