Currently, on mozilla.org and the demo servers, the setDomainName is: _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'mozilla.org']); We need to make setDomainName to be dynamic to the subdomain, i.e. allizom.org for non production domains. www.mozilla.org: _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'mozilla.org']); demo[1-3], stage, dev: _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'allizom.org']);
mkelly: can you change demo2 to just be allizom.org temporarily so we can see if this resolves the issue? I want to make sure this is the blocker on the demo servers before we come up with a dynamic method for all servers. This is blocking our A/B test progress. Thanks!
(In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #1) > mkelly: can you change demo2 to just be allizom.org temporarily so we can > see if this resolves the issue? I want to make sure this is the blocker on > the demo servers before we come up with a dynamic method for all servers. I wanted to try removing the line altogether first, as the documentation at https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingSite#yourDomainName says you only have to use it if you're tracking across multiple domains, and to not use it if you're tracking a single domain. A version with the line completely removed is up on https://www-demo2.allizom.org/ and appears to be working: I can see myself browsing the site in the GA Real Time view, but I understand that there may be a certain feature that might not be working that I don't know about. cmore: Can you test the GA features you expect to work on demo2 and see if they function as expected? If they do, removing the line is the best fix as it'd make the code more portable without having to add custom backend code to each instance.
Code moved to demo3: https://www-demo3.allizom.org/
Updated on https://www-demo2.allizom.org/
I got confirmation from Google that we can remove setDomainName on all GA instances on Mozilla.org, demo servers, and -dev/stage.
mkelly: where can I verify this at? I don't see it on stage or -dev.
Commit pushed to master at https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/commit/d9b521ccbcb0525d6ba62a8ed5e555e65fbe58c6 Bug 822443: Remove setDomainName from GA code.
(In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #7) > mkelly: where can I verify this at? I don't see it on stage or -dev. It's on the PHP side of stage, so any PHP backed page will do. A few examples: www.allizom.org/en-US/privacy-policy.html - Mozilla.com PHP https://www.allizom.org/en-US/about/mozilla-spaces/ - Mozilla.com PHP L10n Template http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ - Mozilla.org Thunderbird pages The last one doesn't appear to have the change, but sancus and I committed them yesterday. I'll look into it.
This appears to be live now. Thanks!
It's not actually live. It's still showing up on http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ and I never merged the PHP changes to prod. So far this appears to only be live on bedrock as a part of the /firefox/new-b changes.
I've removed setDomain from the thunderbird landing page. Should be live shortly.
Merged to mozilla.com production in r111875. This should be live everywhere now.