Last Comment Bug 828737 - Auto-update hosted app names
: Auto-update hosted app names
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
u=dev p=3
:
Product: Marketplace
Classification: Server Software
Component: General (show other bugs)
: 1.0
: All All
: -- normal (vote)
: 2013-01-24
Assigned To: Rob Hudson [:robhudson]
:
Mentors:
Depends on:
Blocks: market-packaged-apps
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2013-01-09 16:18 PST by Rob Hudson [:robhudson]
Modified: 2013-01-29 14:35 PST (History)
4 users (show)
See Also:
QA Whiteboard:
Iteration: ---
Points: ---


Attachments

Description Rob Hudson [:robhudson] 2013-01-09 16:18:53 PST
Along with our cron that updates hosted app manifests we should track app name changes and update the app name in our db to match. This currently triggers a re-review so we're good there.
Comment 1 Jason Smith [:jsmith] 2013-01-09 17:13:33 PST
Also invalid. See bug 826555 for context.

We aren't allowing app updates to rename an app for v1.
Comment 2 Rob Hudson [:robhudson] 2013-01-09 21:17:12 PST
(In reply to Jason Smith [:jsmith] from comment #1)
> Also invalid. See bug 826555 for context.

I realize bug 826555 will not allow updates to rename the app, but we also need to consider new installs and honor the current name as it is in the manifest. This bug is about keeping the Marketplace data in sync with the app manifest, regardless of if it breaks updates or not.
Comment 3 Rob Hudson [:robhudson] 2013-01-11 17:04:26 PST
Didn't quite make it, but it's close... bumping to next week's milestone.
Comment 4 Rob Hudson [:robhudson] 2013-01-18 16:41:05 PST
Latest code branch is here:
https://github.com/robhudson/zamboni/tree/828737-hosted-app-name-updates

I'm bumping to next week but hope to push early Monday after some review.
Comment 5 Rob Hudson [:robhudson] 2013-01-22 15:41:05 PST
https://github.com/mozilla/zamboni/commit/a0084e9 

For QA, the easiest is to set up a manifest at http://testmanifest.com/. Then try adding/updating/removing variations of the manifest name, the default_locale, the "names" inside "locales" and check the reviewer tools for proper logging of the changes.

An example:

Before:

{
  "name": "Socks",
  "description":"This app has been automatically generated by testmanifest.com",
  "version":"1.0",
  "icons":{
    "16":"http://testmanifest.com/icon-16.png",
    "48":"http://testmanifest.com/icon-48.png",
    "128":"http://testmanifest.com/icon-128.png"
  },
  "installs_allowed_from":[
    "*"
  ],
  "developer":{
    "name":"Gregory Koberger",
    "url":"http://gkoberger.net"
  }
}

After:

{
  "name": "Socks App",
  "default_locale": "en-US",
  "description":"This app has been automatically generated by testmanifest.com",
  "version":"1.0",
  "icons":{
    "16":"http://testmanifest.com/icon-16.png",
    "48":"http://testmanifest.com/icon-48.png",
    "128":"http://testmanifest.com/icon-128.png"
  },
  "installs_allowed_from":[
    "*"
  ],
  "developer":{
    "name":"Gregory Koberger",
    "url":"http://gkoberger.net"
  },
  "locales": {
    "es": {
      "name": "Eso si que es"
    }
  }
}

Should show something like:

Manifest name changed from "Socks" to "Socks App".
Locales added: "Eso si que es" (es).
Locales updated: "Socks" -> "Socks App" (en-US).
Comment 6 Andrew Williamson [:eviljeff] 2013-01-28 03:56:26 PST
I noticed this in the re-review queue:
https://marketplace.firefox.com//reviewers/apps/review/faletransito
- note its name is missing on Marketplace but has one in the manifest.  Something isn't fully working.
Comment 7 Rob Hudson [:robhudson] 2013-01-29 14:35:28 PST
Closing again. The real culprit was bug 835407.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.