CTP request: Flash<=11.1* for Linux, excluding 10.3.183.*

VERIFIED FIXED

Status

()

defect
VERIFIED FIXED
6 years ago
3 years ago

People

(Reporter: akeybl, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [plugin])

(Reporter)

Description

6 years ago
Based upon the info pulled by QA in https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Plugins/About:Plugins#Linux, let's block Flash<=11.1* for Linux, excluding 10.3.183.*

We cannot block 11.2.* and 10.3.183.* because the current supported versions:

* 11.2.202.275
* 10.3.183.68

do not provide unique descriptions or versions in the .so file.
First block is in place:

Linux, 0 - 10.3.182.*, Firefox 19.0a1 - *
https://addons-dev.allizom.org/firefox/blocked/p305
RE used, for reference: http://mzl.la/16UkX2T
Keywords: qawanted
QA Contact: anthony.s.hughes
Second block:

Linux, 11.0 - 11.1.*, Firefox 19.0a1 - *
https://addons-dev.allizom.org/firefox/blocked/p307
RE used, for reference: http://mzl.la/10dUR5E
I've run out of time to test this today. Paul, can you please make sure this gets tested for tomorrow?
QA Contact: anthony.s.hughes → paul.silaghi
Tested the staged blocks on FF 19.0.2, 20b7, Aurora 21.0a2 (2013-03-26), Nightly 22.0a1 (2013-03-26):
Flash 9.0, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3.181, 11.0, 11.1 are CTP blocked.
Flash 10.3.183.x, 11.2.x are not blocked.

Feel free to go live.
Keywords: qawanted
Pushed live:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/blocked/p330
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/blocked/p332
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Both blocks appear to be working as expected in production.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED

Comment 7

6 years ago
I have hardware where only the older flash releases work, GeForce FX 5200 AGP with no slots to upgrade to a modern video card on my MB. I have been hand installing fp_10.2.152.26_archive in the past to have flash work, but now that wont work because of this block. How can I unblock this so I don't have to downgrade my mozilla?

Thank you for your time. If this is not the place to ask this, please dirrect me to the proper place.
Go to about:config and set extensions.blocklist.enabled to false.
(In reply to Paul Silaghi [QA] from comment #8)
> Go to about:config and set extensions.blocklist.enabled to false.

That's too extreme and should only be used as the last option. With click-to-play you can enable Flash for individual domains, and you can add the domain to the whitelist so you don't need to enable it for that domain again. You can also use the Click-to-Play Manager extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/click-to-play-manager/) to whitelist any domains in advance.
(In reply to Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] from comment #9)
> You can also use the Click-to-Play Manager extension
> (https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/click-to-play-manager/) to whitelist any
> domains in advance.
Doesn't seem to work with outdated blocked plugins.

Comment 11

6 years ago
I set it to false for now, just so I can watch videos. There is nothing to compromise on this computer. Why not just have a warning, why block?

Comment 12

6 years ago
I'm with Ethan, why do we need a block? What is the reasoning behind this or is it just malicious? It's a pain with sites that use flash for major functions like Soundcloud and I have to reclick allow each time the I enter another page on the same site. Why isn't there a way to disable this without using about:config? Many older and micro-linuxes use older versions of flash player, so putting a block on it isn't wise.
Brenton, Ethan, and anyone else interested in our motives behind Click-to-Play, please keep this type of discussion outside of Bugzilla. 

This bug was about deploying a click-to-play block for Flash 11.1* on Linux and that work is complete. Only comments related to this block not working as designed should be added and the bug reopened if the block is not working.

Your feedback about Click-to-Play is valuable and welcome but should be directed to our mailing lists. Perhaps the dev-planning mailing list would be most appropriate.

Thank you

Comment 14

6 years ago
(In reply to Paul Silaghi [QA] from comment #10)
> (In reply to Jorge Villalobos [:jorgev] from comment #9)
> > You can also use the Click-to-Play Manager extension
> > (https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/click-to-play-manager/) to whitelist any
> > domains in advance.
> Doesn't seem to work with outdated blocked plugins.

And that's my and others problem. I've googled this enough to know that this block is affecting many users negatively.

Comment 15

6 years ago
(In reply to Anthony Hughes, Mozilla QA (:ashughes) from comment #13)
> Brenton, Ethan, and anyone else interested in our motives behind
> Click-to-Play, please keep this type of discussion outside of Bugzilla. 
> 
> This bug was about deploying a click-to-play block for Flash 11.1* on Linux
> and that work is complete. Only comments related to this block not working
> as designed should be added and the bug reopened if the block is not working.
> 
> Your feedback about Click-to-Play is valuable and welcome but should be
> directed to our mailing lists. Perhaps the dev-planning mailing list would
> be most appropriate.
> 
> Thank you

I'm not interested in motives, I'm only interested is sharing with the people who came up with their solution for CTP of it's negative affects on others, in this case many others.

"Only comments related to this block not working as designed should be added and the bug reopened if the block is not working." How is it working if it completely disables flash for so many people? 

Btw, I'm not trying to be argumentative or a jerk or anything. If I'm still wrong for posting here, I apologize. What is the link to the your mailing list that you suggested and to the dev-planning mailing list?

Thank you for your time and info.
(In reply to Ethan Boyle from comment #15)
> I'm not interested in motives, I'm only interested is sharing with the
> people who came up with their solution for CTP of it's negative affects on
> others, in this case many others.

That type of discussion is most appropriate for dev-platform I think (see lists.mozilla.org).

> "Only comments related to this block not working as designed should be added
> and the bug reopened if the block is not working." How is it working if it
> completely disables flash for so many people? 

If you think there is a bug in our click-to-play implementation then please report it separately. You won't get that fixed by commenting here.

> Btw, I'm not trying to be argumentative or a jerk or anything. If I'm still
> wrong for posting here, I apologize. What is the link to the your mailing
> list that you suggested and to the dev-planning mailing list?

The purpose of *this* bug was to deploy a blocklist for Flash <=11.1* excluding 10.3.183.* on Linux. This was staged, tested and deployed so from our point of view this bug is done. 

> Thank you for your time and info.

You're welcome. I hope this information was useful to you.

Comment 17

6 years ago
(In reply to Anthony Hughes, Mozilla QA (:ashughes) from comment #16)
> (In reply to Ethan Boyle from comment #15)
> > I'm not interested in motives, I'm only interested is sharing with the
> > people who came up with their solution for CTP of it's negative affects on
> > others, in this case many others.
> 
> That type of discussion is most appropriate for dev-platform I think (see
> lists.mozilla.org).
> 
> > "Only comments related to this block not working as designed should be added
> > and the bug reopened if the block is not working." How is it working if it
> > completely disables flash for so many people? 
> 
> If you think there is a bug in our click-to-play implementation then please
> report it separately. You won't get that fixed by commenting here.
> 
> > Btw, I'm not trying to be argumentative or a jerk or anything. If I'm still
> > wrong for posting here, I apologize. What is the link to the your mailing
> > list that you suggested and to the dev-planning mailing list?
> 
> The purpose of *this* bug was to deploy a blocklist for Flash <=11.1*
> excluding 10.3.183.* on Linux. This was staged, tested and deployed so from
> our point of view this bug is done. 
> 
> > Thank you for your time and info.
> 
> You're welcome. I hope this information was useful to you.

Thank  you, and yes it was both information and was useful me. I will stop posting here unless promted.
Product: addons.mozilla.org → Toolkit
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.