There is no PAUSE button in the new download "LIBRARY"

RESOLVED WONTFIX

Status

()

RESOLVED WONTFIX
6 years ago
6 years ago

People

(Reporter: bugzreportr, Unassigned)

Tracking

20 Branch
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

6 years ago
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0
Build ID: 20130326150557

Steps to reproduce:

Test it.

And for me it looks like a major bad feature (bug). It feel unfinished and rushed and not "polished".


Actual results:

I tried to use the Submit Feedback, but it returns a 403 so I can't send any info.


Expected results:

There should be a PAUSE button near the 'Open Folder' button in the new "LIBRARY" Manager (it's not a download manager anymore).
(Reporter)

Updated

6 years ago
Component: Untriaged → Downloads Panel
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Depends on: 822763
Ever confirmed: true
OS: Windows 7 → All
Hardware: x86_64 → All

Comment 1

6 years ago
there is a pause button on the right click menu

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/find-and-manage-downloaded-files?esab=a&s=download+manager
(Reporter)

Comment 2

6 years ago
Thank you for remember me that. I know that there is an option on the right-click menu, but if I have one download active that isn't a problem. Now, imagine i download 20 images at the same time and I want to pause some of them. Let's say 5 images; now how many clicks do I have to press to get them all to pause?

The unspoken rule that Microsoft and it seems some at FF forgot is:

The lower number of mouse clicks, the better.

Now, why you guys deleted the pause-continue button from the new Library Manager(not a download anymore) i don't get it. It was simpler to use and faster.

The one month cycle makes FF feel buggy and unfinished, and I for one don't want to use another browser. I'm using FF for years now..

ps: Tell the UX and UI person(s) that did the new download manager that it sucks.
i have a download icon as a shortcut and I still have to click 3 times to show me what's what.. nice one.

Comment 3

6 years ago
The absence of the pause button is an intentional design choice. It is based on
one design guideline known as the 80-20-2 rule. We provide primary UI that is
beneficial to 80% of our users, and secondary UI that benefits the other 20%.
The 2% of users who require special functionality are better served by add-ons,
advanced configuration preferences or keyboard shortcuts.

For this specific instance, we have real-world Telemetry data that informs us on
how many concurrent downloads are run by our users:

1 download  - 94.70%
2 downloads - 3.77%
3 downloads - 0.75%
More than 3 - 0.78%

We used to consider pausing a download a primary functionality, that helped our
users in selecting and prioritizing downloads. Data has proven we were mistaken,
many of our users don't need this to be a primary functionality.

To help users like you, who are part of this 0.78%, we've provided a convenient
way to pause, that is faster than using a mouse, using the space bar. You may
also select multiple download items and use the space bar to pause them all.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
(Reporter)

Comment 4

6 years ago
Thank for the explanation and the answer Paolo. Still, its a hassle.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.