spelling checker language setting changes spontaneously

RESOLVED FIXED in mozilla43

Status

()

--
minor
RESOLVED FIXED
5 years ago
3 years ago

People

(Reporter: gcf, Unassigned)

Tracking

(Blocks: 1 bug)

20 Branch
mozilla43
x86
Linux
Points:
---
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

5 years ago
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0
Build ID: 20130329030848

Steps to reproduce:

(several iterations)  Set spellchecker.dictionary (in about:config) to 'en_US'.


Actual results:

After update, or sometimes for no apparent reason, setting is changed to 'en_GB'.


Expected results:

The setting should have remained the same.  NOTE: content-prefs.sqlite is also changed.  Setting every value instance of 'en_GB' to 'en_US' does not solve the problem.  Removing every file containing 'en_GB' does not solve the problem.  It appears to be embedded elsewhere.
(Reporter)

Comment 1

5 years ago
I have seen this problem or others like it reported in various places.  In all cases the instances I read about have been dismissed as non-reproducible or fixed.  I want to assure you that the problem continues to occur with great regularity on this machine.
Severity: normal → minor

Updated

5 years ago
Component: Untriaged → Spelling checker
Product: Firefox → Core

Comment 2

5 years ago
Appears to duplicate 728069.

Comment 3

5 years ago
It sounds a little different.  In bug 728069, the setting keeps reverting from people's native languages to en-US.  Here it's the opposite: Gordon set it to en-US but it's reverting to en-GB.  Probably similar underlying problem, though.
(Reporter)

Comment 4

5 years ago
I may have discovered the source of the problem.  In poking around my system, I discovered that Firefox had three language pack add-ons, one for English (GB), one for English (South African) and one for Chinese.  I did not install these add-ons and would have no reason to, so I assume they came with the program.  I ensured that they were all disabled and that my spell-checker preference has been once again set to 'en_US' in both content-prefs.sqlite and prefs.js.  I will see what happens.  Note that I am running Ubuntu (12.4) which comes with Firefox, and that I probably downloaded the original installation file(s) from Canonical (in SA).

Comment 5

5 years ago
That's not "the source" of the problem.  The whole point of having a selector is to be able to have multiple dictionaries installed, and I intentionally have Spanish dictionaries installed, but the text box keeps resetting the default.
(Reporter)

Comment 6

5 years ago
In some further research on this problem, I've observed that it appears to occur only when plugin-container is running (to play flash animations, I assume) and a web site specifying en_GB has been accessed.  The 'en_GB' first appears in sessionstore.js,  Several minutes later it shows up in content-prefs.sqlite, and shortly after that in prefs.js.

Comment 7

5 years ago
I'm experiencing the issue with es_CU, but plugin-container is always running for me as well (Facebook pulls in Flash for some unclear reason).  I've noticed that visiting a comments thread on Fark.com reliably triggers the bug in Facebook's text boxes.

Updated

4 years ago
Blocks: 1073827

Updated

3 years ago
Depends on: 1200533

Comment 8

3 years ago
Closing this bug as per bug 1073827, comment #33.
If you want to reopen it, please present a reproducible test case.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → mozilla43
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.